Helpful tips

Most of the hotels you stay in are hot and dry. Bring a small personal humidifier if possible (CVS makes a small one) and keep your windows open a bit. Also, start drinking lots of water a few days before you travel and keep drinking to prevent altitude sickness and dehydration. We loved dog sledding at Chico - be sure to reserve that ahead of time if you go early. Also, there are no good dining options at Chico other than the very popular restaurant so be sure to make reservations there for dinner if you are arriving a day early.

It's a wonderful trip: spectacular scenery, amazing wildlife viewing and full of fascinating stories.

Comments

• Really great tips, Grandmama. Personally, my luggage space for electrical equipment is taken up by a travel size electric jug … so I can have at least 1 cup of tea (made from actually boiling water) per day. Can't rely on US hotels knowing that tea = rapidly boiling water, rather than warm water in a vase! It is such a joy when I am proved wrong. Sadly, the available space in the luggage can't accommodate your brilliant idea of a small humidifier! I have to stick to drinking heaps of water to ward off some of the effects of the altitude.

But really good tips!

Cheers,

Jan
  • I did this trip January 2013 and definitely suffered from altitude sickness. Had no idea what was wrong until someone mentioned it a few days into the trip. Just be wary of it.
  • If you're uncomfortable walking on ice or snow, bring YakTrax or similar to attach to the bottom of your boots.

Altitude was no problem for us maybe because we drank lots of water throughout the day. Tauck provided water on every outing, which was helpful.
  • jwriter wrote:
    If you're uncomfortable walking on ice or snow, bring YakTrax or similar to attach to the bottom of your boots.

Altitude was no problem for us maybe because we drank lots of water throughout the day. Tauck provided water on every outing, which was helpful.

It is a must to buy YakTrax or similar for your boots. Many walks were very icy and the Trax made walks much safer. When I walked around Jackson Hole the streets and sidewalks were very icy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file