Options

Carry-on Luggage

I'm finding it impossible to fit everything in the 1 suitcase allowed by the airline and by Tauck. I have decided to take a laptop case to hold my electronic devices and accessories. I may change from the laptop case to a small carry-on suitcase, which is allowed by the airline, but discouraged by Tauck. Will it be okay to have this additional case, as long as I make myself responsible for transporting it around. Alternately would it be possible to stow it in the luggage hold of the bus? Help!

Comments

• Options
    You are allowed a small non wheeled carry on on Tauck buses.
  • Options
    ValleyGirl wrote:
    Will it be okay to have this additional case, as long as I make myself responsible for transporting it around. Alternately would it be possible to stow it in the luggage hold of the bus? Help!

I regularly take what Tauck "on the road" call hand carries to and from my hotel room and the bus. A hand carry is different to checked luggage. That is collected from and delivered to your room by hotel porters. As long as you don't confuse your small bags with the big ones, and the TD and the driver are aware …. and you don't mess up the vital business of counting the cases …. it all works smoothly. It might be handy to pack a small, weightless, fold up carry bag that you can use for the small things you need to have with you in the bus … camera, brolly, brain surgery kit … There's a time and place for everything!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I had a regular suitcase that Tauck lugged around for me on that tour. I also a large backpack with electronic and photo equipment. I would usually take the camera equipment I needed for the day out of the pack and put the bag under the bus. I was on a small group tour, so maybe we just had plenty of room to do that. However, the bus had plenty of additional space for what looked like a large number of bags. I am pretty sure I remember using a computer bag on wheels that was bigger than the norm for another trip and it was stored under the bus. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Jan is correct, just make sure the bus driver knows what you are doing and as long as you don't interfere with the logistics of the tour director and bus driver you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Thank You All (British, jdurkin & ndvb)! I think I understand the logistics of an extra (small) bag, and am greatly relieved that I will be able to take what I consider essential travel accessories :-)
  • Options
    You're welcome, ValleyGirl. I swear it's so much easier to pack for 6 weeks than it is for 1. It's all very well to tell someone to stock up on stuff, as you need it, along the way. You actually have no guarantee that you'll ever be anywhere near the kind of shop you want, within trading hours, when you are on the road. It all depends on the type of trip ahead of you. And you never can predict when you, or the bloke in the seat in front of you, might need that do-it-yourself brain surgery kit. ;)

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file