Langham Hotel extra days in Melbourne

Has anyone booked extra days through travel sites (like Hotels.com etc) rather than through Tauck? We plan to arrive several days early to acclimate to the time change. It looks like we'd save about $200 per day booking independently.

Comments

• If you book another hotel, then Tauck will not be able to collect you from the airport to take you to that hotel, so that may eat up some of your savings. You will also have to tip for porters and pay for breakfast if it is not included at the other hotel, worth factoring in. The Langham is a very nice hotel and very central and within walking distance of most of the sites you will want to see when you arrive early. Then you will have to drag your suitcases to the Langham, personally I do not think it is worth the bother on what is quite an expensive trip to save such a small amount.
  • I booked the Langham for an extra two days prior (plus the extra night from Tauck). Used AmEx Platinum travel and it worked out fine. Booked same category of room without breakfast since AmEx includes breakfast as a perk with the Platinum card. Rate was appox. $150 less per night than Tauck and all taxes are included. In addition, $100 food and dining credit is also included with AmEx. Since I will be in the same hotel as the tour, airport pickup is included.
  • That's a great tip Rogfam, we got a Platinum last year and got a great deal at the Savoy hotel on an independent trip to London. However, I guess the deal could be different depending on the season whereas Tauck's deal is the same all year.
  • And another thing to consider with the Amex Platinum deals is that they are usually structured for a double booking, so for a solo traveller the deals are sometimes not worth the paper they are printed on. Solo travellers might just need to interrogate the offers a little more carefully. I have mostly found over all the years that I've had a Platinum card that the deals have all been designed for couples. Only recently have some flight deals been available to solo travellers … at least this is the case in Australia.

I do realise that most of you don't have any interest in solo travellers' issues. But this is a great tip if the locations and rules work for you. Thanks for passing it on, rogfam.

Cheers,

Jan
  • British wrote:
    That's a great tip Rogfam, we got a Platinum last year and got a great deal at the Savoy hotel on an independent trip to London. However, I guess the deal could be different depending on the season whereas Tauck's deal is the same all year.

We are traveling late Jan, which according to the Tauck room pricing, is their high rate.
  • I will certainly keep that Savoy tip up my sleeve! Who could believe the Fairmont Monte Carlo would be cheaper than the Fairmont London!

It's normally all academic for me because I choose to arrive at an international jump off point much earlier than the Tauck rate extends … which is usually a maximum of 3 nights. And as British says, Tauck only transfer your to their designated hotel. Oh, such first world problems. I am so torn.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Has anyone booked extra days through travel sites (like Hotels.com etc) rather than through Tauck? We plan to arrive several days early to acclimate to the time change. It looks like we'd save about $200 per day booking independently.

Keep in mind, when booking through sites such as hotels.com, published discounts are usually non-refundable. Sometimes, life has a way of throwing you a "curveball". It is to your advantage to allow yourself a way out. I don't know how far in advance your upcoming trip is, but you may want to contact the Langham directly. Their website offers price reductions for early booking, as well as stays of three or more nights.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file