Just came back- comments and suggestions

We just came back from the "Best of the Canadian Rockies" trip.
First of all, it was fabulous. You are in for a treat.
Definitely bring layers of clothing. At times we needed warm jackets. Other days we were in shorts.
We arrived in Calgary two days early. The first night we ate at the Keg in the Westin Hotel. That was very good.
The second night we ate in a local (family owned) restaurant within walking distance of the hotel...Buchanan's.
(The concierge at the Westin recommended it). We enjoyed that meal also.
FYI- Buchanan's was voted to have the best burgers in Calgary. They also have many other items on their menu. You can find the menu online. Buchanan's is known as "Calgary's original chophouse and whiskey bar".
The service was very good and the food tasty.
If you have time, wander around the city, and try to go for a walk along the river. It is only a few blocks from the hotel.
Bring a bathing suit. In Jasper, there is a heated outdoor pool, where the temperature of the water is 95 degrees F.
Bring a few memory cards for your camera. Everywhere you turn, you will be snapping photos. The scenery is amazing.
If you like eating dinner outdoors, Cavell's restaurant in Jasper has a lovely outdoor area (weather permitting) that overlooks the lake and mountains. You need to request outdoor seating when you make the reservation.
The Moose's Nook restaurant (also in Jasper) had great food and wonderful service in an upscale setting...a pianist provided background music when we were there.
If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.
Have fun! You will have an amazing trip.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Sue M wrote:
    We just came back from the "Best of the Canadian Rockies" trip.
    First of all, it was fabulous. You are in for a treat.
    The second night we ate in a local (family owned) restaurant within walking distance of the hotel...Buchanan's.
    (The concierge at the Westin recommended it). We enjoyed that meal also.
    FYI- Buchanan's was voted to have the best burgers in Calgary. They also have many other items on their menu. You can find the menu online. Buchanan's is known as "Calgary's original chophouse and whiskey bar".
    The service was very good and the food tasty.

Sue, thanks for the tips. Reading about the burgers at Buchanan's brought back a memory of our just completed Ultimate Alps & Dolomites Trip, so I thought I would ask you for a comparison.

In Davos, Switzerland, we toured a chocolate maker (restaurant upstairs) tasted chocolate, visited a small brewery where we tasted the beer, and also visited a small cheese making establishment where we tasted cheese and had lunch. We had the evening to ourselves and since we had been snacking all day, decided to eat light for dinner. We went to the restaurant above the chocolate maker and since we were too early for the dinner menu everyone in our little group of six decided to just have burgers and fries. The burger was big and tasty, but had a lot of filler, the fries were good, and my wife and I had two Cokes each.

Now the comparison- how did our bill (two burgers, two orders of fries, and 4 Cokes) compare with yours? We paid a whopping 80 CHF (Swiss Francs) or a little over $90! Maybe the filler was shredded Francs?
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Alan,

My maths are terrible and I'm not particularly familiar with the Swiss economy, bar that it is Very Healthy, but for 6 diners ..CHF13.33 per head seems very cheap to me. I know the Swiss do pay their workers a living wage, but still … I guess when you are paying in funny money everything seems expensive. I know it does to me. Sounds like you had a fabulous trip, regardless of those gnomes.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi Alan-
    I believe the burgers might have been about $19 each and I think they came with fries. They were big and juicy.
    Check the menu online. I think the prices are posted.
    I ate a lot of beef while in Canada, lots of prime rib.
    Canada is known for its beef, so I figured..."When in Rome...".
    Now that I am home, it is back to more chicken and fish.
    Sue
  • edited July 2014
    jdurkin wrote:
    Hi Alan,

My maths are terrible and I'm not particularly familiar with the Swiss economy, bar that it is Very Healthy, but for 6 diners ..CHF13.33 per head seems very cheap to me. I know the Swiss do pay their workers a living wage, but still … I guess when you are paying in funny money everything seems expensive. I know it does to me. Sounds like you had a fabulous trip, regardless of those gnomes.

Cheers,

Jan

Fantastic trip, but that bill was just for two of us! 2 burgers, 2 fries, and 2 Cokes each- no free refills.
  • My mistake, Alan. You said you were a … "group of six" which was the basis of my response. Still, I guess that's why we travel … to be confused and amused!

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file