South Africa: An Elegant Adventure

Just returned from South Africa: An Elegant Adventure and it was truly an amazing trip - perfect combination of the culture of South Africa and safari experience. This has definitely been one of my top trips - everything about it was breathtaking and overflowing with adventure. I would be happy to answer any questions for those of you getting ready to take this wonderful and exciting journey.

Comments

• Just returned from South Africa: An Elegant Adventure and it was truly an amazing trip - perfect combination of the culture of South Africa and safari experience. This has definitely been one of my top trips - everything about it was breathtaking and overflowing with adventure. I would be happy to answer any questions for those of you getting ready to take this wonderful and exciting journey.

Leaving end of week for same tour starting on the 1th. Looking for advice on what to pack. Especially for Kruger and Victoria Falls. Input is always welcome.

• This is a very casual trip. During the day long pants, jeans, shorts, good walking shoes like sneakers and don't forget to bring a jacket. It can be very cool in Cape Town in the mornings. Also bring a hat - safari hat or baseball hat, whatever you are comfortable wearing. For dinner, slacks and nicer top - sport jacket definitely not needed. For ladies, slacks and dressier top works fine. For safari: safari pants work well - neutral colors like beige (not bright colors). Dress in layers - always bring a jacket and hat. It can be very hot in Zimbabwe so you might want to bring shorts and short sleeve shirts.
    When on safari you don't get back until 7:00 from the late afternoon game drive so no need to change. On safari everyone wore the same clothes they had on during the game drive for dinner. This is a very exciting trip - have a great time!
  • This is a very casual trip. During the day long pants, jeans, shorts, good walking shoes like sneakers and don't forget to bring a jacket. It can be very cool in Cape Town in the mornings. Also bring a hat - safari hat or baseball hat, whatever you are comfortable wearing. For dinner, slacks and nicer top - sport jacket definitely not needed. For ladies, slacks and dressier top works fine. For safari: safari pants work well - neutral colors like beige (not bright colors). Dress in layers - always bring a jacket and hat. It can be very hot in Zimbabwe so you might want to bring shorts and short sleeve shirts.
    When on safari you don't get back until 7:00 from the late afternoon game drive so no need to change. On safari everyone wore the same clothes they had on during the game drive for dinner. This is a very exciting trip - have a great time!

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. Going to re-think some of my packed items. Very excited, and looking forward to such a great adventure. Again, thanks for the great insight.
  • Did this last October. Ladies don't bring skirt or dress not needed! One casual and one dress slacks just fine. Men no jacket required! Maybe a sweater over a shirt if you must. No fancy jewelry. Tan pants, long sleeved tops for safaris a must. Also a light jacket. It is cool in mornings and evenings on safari at times. Long sleeves because you go off road and running thru scrub in open sided jeeps so need for sun and scrub protection. Victoria falls can be hot so shorts good. Bring DEET bug spray for safari and even Victoria falls. Stuff they give you okay but not really that effective. Bring hats and sunglasses. This trip is incredible! Take heed of the 44 pound weight limit... I packed 40 lbs so I had room for a few bring home things. All the ladies wore the same things over and over with a different top or scarf, so don't overpack. Men did the same. Bring comfy walking shoes no need to bring hiking shoes for safaris or anywhere else. A lightweight small backpack for airplane enough. Leave purses at home or bring very small one. Camera a must but don't fret if you don't have some big digital one..the animals so close you won't miss them! Have fun!! Wish I was going again...
  • Do you need a converter in the hotels or are the adaptors enough?
  • I had wondered the same thing before my trip to South Africa so, in addition to the adaptors, I did bring a converter and I never had to use it.
  • most modern electronic devices do not nd a converter just adaptor. ipod, iphone, cameras, computers, etc. I don't take them anymore but I am guessing things like hair dryers do still need a converter.
  • I was just there 2 months ago and did not need a converter for anything. All of the places we stayed provided hair dryers.
  • Expert,
    We are booked on that tour starting Feb 19, 2014. Is it necessary to take Typhoid and Malaria tablets for South Africa and Zimbabwe?
    Thanks,
    Jai Sehgal
    Newtown, PA
  • Jai, I am also from PA and have been on this tour. You should always consult your doctor and the CDC website where you will find information. Please note that typhoid prevention is by vaccine and it is recommended. You will be visiting Kruger Nat park where there is risk of Malaria. We always take the recommended drugs for any country we visit that has risk of malaria, different drugs for different countries. I am always posting on this website about people protecting themselves from Malaria, it's a killer or can make you very sick for the rest of your life. I have nurses people with Malaria and they are very ill! You are running out of time to get the vaccine and have it be effective for typhoid. Some malaria meds have to be started up to a week before you arrive in the country
  • Thanks British,
    I have been in touch with the Doctor who has given us immunizations in the past for our travels to India and she has advised Typhoid medication to be taken 10-14 days before travel and Malaria tablets before, during and after our travel. Since we are leaving on Feb 18 we still have enough time to get this done.
    Which part of PA are you in?
  • Very near you, near King of Prussia. We visit India in February
  • A2couple wrote:
    Did this last October. Ladies don't bring skirt or dress not needed! One casual and one dress slacks just fine. Men no jacket required! Maybe a sweater over a shirt if you must. No fancy jewelry. Tan pants, long sleeved tops for safaris a must. Also a light jacket. It is cool in mornings and evenings on safari at times. Long sleeves because you go off road and running thru scrub in open sided jeeps so need for sun and scrub protection. Victoria falls can be hot so shorts good. Bring DEET bug spray for safari and even Victoria falls. Stuff they give you okay but not really that effective. Bring hats and sunglasses. This trip is incredible! Take heed of the 44 pound weight limit... I packed 40 lbs so I had room for a few bring home things. All the ladies wore the same things over and over with a different top or scarf, so don't overpack. Men did the same. Bring comfy walking shoes no need to bring hiking shoes for safaris or anywhere else. A lightweight small backpack for airplane enough. Leave purses at home or bring very small one. Camera a must but don't fret if you don't have some big digital one..the animals so close you won't miss them! Have fun!! Wish I was going again...

Regarding luggage (not the backpack you mention), are we supposed to use a duffle bag instead of regular rolling luggage? Can it be a rolling duffle bag? What size duffle is good for 44 lbs (medium or large)? Are sneakers ok for the 1 time we get out of the jeep and go walking?
  • The Tauck supplied duffle is for use for the "remote" fly-in sectors of your trip. You take what you need for those days in the duffle. It's a matter of weight, size, recognition and handling for those days. Your regular case is stored while you are off in the bush. Most people pack the duffle, flat, inside their regular case. I get the impression it's too big to use as a carry on for you international flight to Africa.

Cheers,

Jan
  • I called Tauck about this last month and was told they don't use duffles anymore. Doesn't make sense since your post was 6 days ago.
  • Jai wrote:
    Expert,
    We are booked on that tour starting Feb 19, 2014. Is it necessary to take Typhoid and Malaria tablets for South Africa and Zimbabwe?
    Thanks,
    Jai Sehgal
    Newtown, PA

I am also booked for February 19, 2014. Happy to find you. I am from Minnesota. My husband and I are traveling with three other couples-all friends for 40-50 years. We are in our late 60's. The groups are small but do you know how many? This is our 2nd trip to Africa as we cruised the Nile in Egypt a couple years ago. Will talk to my Dr. about the pills. Good to know.