Those Horses Are Actually Mules

It's a small point, but the animals that carry the overweight tourists in Zion National Park are mules. How else could they make the trip? They do not weigh wannabe riders in Zion, but they do so on the North Rim. Not to worry. The animals are quite powerful and do a wonderful job of navigating down the incredible steepness of the Grand Canyon. I recommend taking a mule ride at one (or both) venues if you are not over their weight limit of around 200 pounds -- and you DO need to make a reservation to be guaranteed a ride.

Comments

• Hiya Chief
    Leaving for this trip on thursday.
    Please explain--what is this you are referring to?

I am in good health and reasonably fit--have been wondering though wether to buy a walking/hiking staff. Is it appropriate for this trip? How much actual hiking is there?

I am not that fond of incredibly steep treks downhill.

Miriam
  • Hiya Chief

I am in good health and reasonably fit--have been wondering though wether to buy a walking/hiking staff. Is it appropriate for this trip? How much actual hiking is there?

I am not that fond of incredibly steep treks downhill.

Miriam
  • Hiya Chief

I am in good health and reasonably fit--have been wondering though wether to buy a walking/hiking staff. Is it appropriate

Did you read the description of the tour and the extra info in the Before You Go section on the page for your tour? That might answer some of your questions. Wow you get mule rides if you want, I've not done that, but have done the Tauck Canyonlands tour that is similar. if you are not up to some of the walking, Tauck usually has an alternative activity though it does warn you that this is an active tour. Also take into account the elevation might affect you on some parts of the tour. If there is anything steep I am sure they will provide walking sticks, but my feeling is the tour is still geared towards seniors and you will be fine. Why don't you call Tauck to reassure yourself. I notice that the Culturious Tours appear to be more geared towards the more active types.
  • I was referring to the post (I thought it was you posting...) re: Bryce about being weighed? and having to take donkeys down the mountain because it was so steep. The title read they aren't horses they are mules?
    So that freaked me out, and that's what I was asking about. I did call tauck. I'm sure I'll be fine. Still wondering what you (or whomever) was talking aboout :)

Miriam
  • I was referring to the post (I thought it was you posting...) re: Bryce about being weighed? and having to take donkeys down the mountain because it was so steep. The title read they aren't horses they are mules?
    So that freaked me out, and that's what I was asking about. I did call tauck. I'm sure I'll be fine. Still wondering what you (or whomever) was talking aboout :)

Miriam

There are "horses" offered to ride in Zion National Park and down into the Grand Canyon that are actually mules. When I was face-to-face with these creatures, I could see that they were NOT horses at all (and one of the wranglers confirmed this fact when we got to discussing the ride we had done the previous day on a cranky animal that proved to be their most-stubborn mule). The animals we rented were very powerful mules and they did a fabulous job of climbing steep terrain. We also rented the use of mules in Yosemite National Park (on Tauck's Redwoods Tour) and we very satisfied. We did not think that we could scale those heights on our own--after all, athletes were scaling the side of the mountains--but the mules went all the way to the top of the highest point. (We did walk around a little bit at a halfway point when the mules were resting, but we did not climb much on our own.) As an added benefit, the animals in Yosemite are available for rent on several different trails (because Yosemite is so diverse in its terrain). We chose the really steep path and we were assigned big and powerful mules. There were horses in the stables, but I think that horses covered the less-steep trails. Everything is advertised as "horses" but they are not all horses, in fact. And yes...you ARE weighed in order to know which animal will carry you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file