My "Best of Ireland" experience

By all means...thumbs up!

I finally finished writing about our "Best of Ireland" trip. I'm hoping that it will be helpful to others who might be considering this tour. It contains a lot of information, but I purposely kept my personal impressions to a minimum so I wouldn't spoil it for others who are going.

Here's my blog:
http://www.1mpages.com/ReviewTauckIreland.html

There are a couple of links to some of our photos towards the bottom of the page.

Happy travels!

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Holy smokes- that must have taken an incredible amount of work to put that all together! And, my wife thinks I'm OCD about our trips!

Thanks for the detailed report. You answered a number of questions, especially about what happens north of Bushmills (drive-bys of Dunluce and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge) and even though they may change slightly by the time we go seeing the menus will give us more time to decide what we want to eat and where.

It sounds like you flew Business class- if so could you provide a bit of info on your flight route, aircraft, seating, etc. We are taking a small group Best of Ireland next year. We were spoiled on our flight to Munich this summer- Business class in a 767-400 with fully flat seats in 1 - 2 - 1 layout - we sat in the middle so both of us had isle access. I don't like the seating on the Airbus A330-200 or Boeing 757-200's that fly to Shannon. My plan to spend a few days in London first was just voted down, but we still may take a slight detour via Heathrow just to get the best seats then hop over to Shannon on Aerlingus.
  • What an absolutely excellent review. And I know you included a bibliography and footnotes just for me! ;)) I love your final words of wisdom. Well done all round. You definitely deserve a Elephant Stamp for your efforts.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Wow, Peregrinator; what an incredibly detailed review! Thank you so much for leaving it, and thank you for the wonderful things you say about us and about how much you enjoyed the trip. :)

-Tim
  • Big thanks to Peregrinator for posting this as well as your other trips. It's your detailed review that convinced me to take Tauck's Classic Italy tour. Looking forward to seeing your take on upcoming tours.
  • What a great Review! Brought back a lot of memories as I chose this tour as my first trip to Europe and was on the first 2014 Best of Ireland trip this year in May. Except for having a different tour director "Mary" and a fantastic bus driver "John" who drove the bus through places I never thought it would fit, the tour we experienced was almost exactly as describe.

One of the most exciting moments to me was being greeted by my near gale force winds at the "Cliffs of Moher" which while walking in the rain and wind was almost blown of my feet two times by "Gusts" Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of it. It made the experience much more to me then being there on a clear day. Wouldn't have wanted it other way.

Tauck was first class and I'm glad we chose them as our tour provider. Within a month of getting home I put down my reservation for the European River Cruise with Tauck in May 2015. I'm already planning ahead for a 2016 with Tauck. Now have to chose between Best of Italy or Taucks land/cruise tour of the Greek islands.
  • This is such a fabulous review, and I want to bump it up to the top so others will be sure to see! I went to your blog multiple times for reference before our departure in September 2015. Thanks so much for doing this. We had a wonderful trip, and your blog thoroughly prepared us.
  • Thank you so much for the detailed information. We are taking this trip July 16, 2016. This sure helps!
  • Wow Perigrinator! Such a detailed review. Thank you! My husband and I will take this tour in September 2017. I love reading about all the details ahead of time.
    One question: Do you have a recommendation for footwear (brand, style, etc.) for you and your wife? Was the walking such that you needed waterproof-type, hiking shoes?
  • edited June 2017
    Wow Perigrinator! Such a detailed review. Thank you! My husband and I will take this tour in September 2017. I love reading about all the details ahead of time.
    One question: Do you have a recommendation for footwear (brand, style, etc.) for you and your wife? Was the walking such that you needed waterproof-type, hiking shoes?

This thread is almost three years old and Peregrinator visits/posts infrequently so you may or may not hear from him.

We took this tour last year. You take a short walk on fairly flat but unevenly spaced large rocks in the Burren, and only if you choose, on the rocks at the Giant's Causeway, but no special shoes are required, certainly not waterproof or hiking shoes, just regular, comfortable walking shoes or tennis shoes with non-slip soles.
  • Thank you AlanS for the shoe information! That's very helpful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file