Costa Rica Adventure December 17, 2014

Hi Tauck Travelers,

I am a newbie and am currently holding a reservation for the the 8 day CR Adventure trip departing 12/17/14. If I follow through with the booking, I'd be traveling as a solo. This would be my first trip with Tauck, however, I'm well traveled (40 countries). I've been reading about the booked properties and about the itinerary itself. Though zip lining is something I'd like to mark off the bucket list, I'm terrified (Sixty and scared to death!). Also, is this a good time to say that I like wildlife alot, but usually from afar? I'm fantasizing about what I would do if I found a 5 foot iguana in my shower (after the panic attack and blood curdling scream). Any helpful hints? Also am a scaredy cat regarding vaccinations?????

Help convince me to go (or not).

Comments

• We were on the Culturious Costa Rica trip in February. The itinerary is a bit different from the Adventure trip but many of the activities are similar. I was somewhat hesitant about the zip-lining also but it ended up being one of the highlights of the trip. One of our group was especially frightened, so one of the attendants rode with her for the first two lines. After that, she was fine and did the rest on her own. You are attached so many ways there is no way you can fall.

Our iguana encounters were far enough away, on the sidewalk on the way to the pool and in a tree near our lunch table. None in the shower, thank goodness.

No vaccinations were required, although I believe they recommend you be current on all the normal ones. Check with your doctor.

The country and the people are delightful. I vote GO.
  • edited September 2014
    Pett wrote:
    Hi Tauck Travelers,

I am a newbie and am currently holding a reservation for the the 8 day CR Adventure trip departing 12/17/14. If I follow through with the booking, I'd be traveling as a solo. This would be my first trip with Tauck, however, I'm well traveled (40 countries). I've been reading about the booked properties and about the itinerary itself. Though zip lining is something I'd like to mark off the bucket list, I'm terrified (Sixty and scared to death!). Also, is this a good time to say that I like wildlife alot, but usually from afar? I'm fantasizing about what I would do if I found a 5 foot iguana in my shower (after the panic attack and blood curdling scream). Any helpful hints? Also am a scaredy cat regarding vaccinations?????

Help convince me to go (or not).

Hi, I have been to Costa Rica twice with Tauck when they offered a variety of tours, so I have been to most of the areas on this tour and others you will not see. If I didn't have more places I wanted to see I would go again, I love it there.
    Tauck is a great company, I have travelled pretty much to every continent with them now apart from Antarctica.
    Zip-line, I was about 54 when I did the zip-line there, was not nervous until I got to the top of the first tree, then was frightened but trusted our guides knew what they were doing and enjoyed the thrill. The place we went had a series of about seven lines to get to the end and then you repel down the last one, my husband took an unkind view of me descending that we laughed about.
    You will not find an iguana in your room, I guess unless you leave a bowl of tempting fruit in there. There are plenty at the one resort, can't remember how to spell but begins with T The staff leave fruit to attract some colorful birds.
    One resort we stayed in, you are not, had windows with just screens and we had to check our shoes for Scorpions and also pull the bedclothes right back to check before we got in, one young girl had a. Scorpion crawl into her bag, caused lots of screaming and fun for everyone on their little bus. We were also shown tarantulas when we stopped at a banana processing plant when we drove through a huge banana plantation before we got to literally the end of the road system and continued to our resort by boat.
    I don't believe there are any vaccinations you would have to have that you probably have not had already with all your past travel. We took malaria meds because one of the areas we visited was on the Caribbean coast where there is a chance of malaria -- you will need to check the map of your trip and consult your travel dr for advice or the CDC web page. Knowing my cautious nature I would probably take the meds myself anyway.
    Food is great, very friendly people. Can be damp, if you try to launder smalls at some resorts they will not dry easily.
    Local guides very good, nature walks good. We did a night walk in the rainforest and they turned off the flashlights and we were in the pitch black just listening! Souvenirs, lots of reasonably priced wooden jewelry. We still drink Costa Rica coffee we buy on line from the coffee plantation we visited.. Ok, time to get up, book trip and have fun!
    Just one more point, you posted this question on the South America thread, Costa Rica is not in South America, it is in Central America, you might want to move it to the correct area of the forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file