New Mexico

Hi Susan,
Just back from New Mexico trip. Had a wonderful time. Here are a few comments which might be of interest to you:
1. Hotels;
Tamaya- lovely resort with beautiful grounds. A bit isolated, but things to do on-site, including horseback riding and walk to Rio Grande. Also lovely spa.
El Monte Sagrado-Our personal favorite. Really interesting rooms, lots of interesting art work, beautiful grounds.
El Dorado in Santa Fe- well located, easy walk to main plaza. Typical conference hotel.
2. Dress- casual. dress in layers. Nights and early mornings are cool. 1st and last dinners resort casual dress. Most men didn't wear ties or jackets.

A few tips;
We ate lunch in Taos plaza at the Gorge Bar & Grill. It overlooks the plaza and the food was varied and good.
In Santa Fe, there is a free shuttle called Sante Fe pickup that has a stop just around the corner of the El Dorado Hotel on Sandoval Street. It can take you to Canyon Rd, which has wonderful art galleries and restaurants. We recommend getting off at the top of Canyon Rd 800 block ( opposite Tea House restaurant). We had lunch there in the garden. You then can walk downhill and pick up the shuttle at the bottom of the hill. Ask the concierge for a map of the shuttle stops.
If you have any questions let me know.
Wishing you a wonderful trip.
Cheri

Comments

• Hi Cheri,

I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time! Thank you for leaving your thoughts here. New Mexico really is such a beautiful part of the country.

-Tim
  • Cheri,

Thanks for the information. I wanted to respond to you sooner, but the Tauck forum site was acting up again. I am looking forward to the trip! How was the food in the hotels? Did they show you anything from the Old Town area in Albuquerque, or did you do that on your own?
  • Susan,
    Tauck did not go to Old Town in Albuquerque and neither did we. There were breakfast buffets at all our hotels and you could also order a la carte. We thought the food was good. Several of the dinners at the El Dorado and Tamaya hotels were very good. Let us know about your trip when you return. We're sure you're going to have a great time. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention our wonderful guide, Lolly. She was so knowledgeable and a great tour guide.
    Cheri

• Thanks, Cheri. I'm just hoping to relax on this tour. I'm sure it'll be ever so wonderful as all the Tauck tours I've taken. I will definitely write a thorough review of this trip.
  • From the perspective of a NM resident, there is really nothing to see in Old Town except for the San Felipe de Neri church which was built in the late 1700s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Felipe_de_Neri_Church

Other than the church, the restaurants have no real claim to fame and are average or below when it comes to their food. They are mostly for tourists. The rest of Old Town are shops designed to separate tourists from their money. When we have out of town guests, we do not bother to take them to Old Town. Near Old Town, there is a facility called the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center and if you are in town on a weekend, you might find the Native American dancing demos to be of interest and their gift shop provides good value if you care to purchase Native made art work.

• Thanks for the information, rxgale. I appreciate it. How's the weather there now? Any rain? How cold is it getting at night?
  • Hi Susan. I'm also a NM resident. The weather is great. Lows in the 30-40's at night and highs in the 70's during the day for the next week at least. The Balloon Fiesta starts Sat and the weather is looking good. Rain is always a possibility this time of year though.

I agree with rxgale on Old Town. Was just in Taos recently and commented to my husband that there was alot of similarity between Old Town, the Santa Fe Plaza and Taos plaza. We had lunch at Bella's just off the Taos plaza and it was fantastic. They badly need more wait staff but the food was worth the wait.
  • The Tauck New Mexico trip was awesome. The landscapes are so beautiful, and the people are extremely friendly. We would would have liked it if there was more time to look in the shops at some of the destinations such as Bandelier National Monument. I heard that the book store was very good, and would have loved to look in there. Not enough time to see the sites, and the shop. We learned a lot on this trip. The tour guide, Lolly, was super informative. The other guests on our tour were all so nice and friendly. Everyone was supportive and helpful. This was a wonderful experience that will be treasured for a long time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file