Oct 5, 2014 Small Group Tour

I am a first-time solo Tauck traveler on the 5 Oct small group tour. I love Europe, but this is my first time to Italy and I'm really looking forward to it. Like others, I plan to arrive a day early (on the 4th) and spend some time recovering from jet lag and seeing a little of Sorrento or Capri before meeting everyone the evening of the 5th. Is anyone else arriving early? I know it's still a few months away, but I'd love to meet some fellow travelers over a plate of pasta and glass of wine. Ciao, Keith

Comments

• I am a first-time solo Tauck traveler on the 5 Oct small group tour. I love Europe, but this is my first time to Italy and I'm really looking forward to it. Like others, I plan to arrive a day early (on the 4th) and spend some time recovering from jet lag and seeing a little of Sorrento or Capri before meeting everyone the evening of the 5th. Is anyone else arriving early? I know it's still a few months away, but I'd love to meet some fellow travelers over a plate of pasta and glass of wine. Ciao, Keith
    Hi Keith - We are on the same tour as you. My wife Sherri and I decided to take a big gamble and arrive on the day of the tour. Wish us luck with our airline connections! Sorry we won't be able to meet up with you on the 4th, but I'm sure we'll get to know each other on the tour. Buon Viaggio. Mike
  • Hi, Mike. Thanks for the reply. I look forward to meeting you and you wife. Travel safe and I'll see you the evening of October 5th.
  • pickpockets and scams

Don't leave anything in pockets you would not want taken. Protect purses at all times.

On my Italy trip last year. One man had his pocket picked and had hundreds in US and his passport stolen. One lady had her wallet in the front zippered pouch of pocketbook stolen and lost all credit cards (had to go thru the trouble of calling to cancel).

In Scandinavia this year, one couple was not careful with carry-on and was taken at the airport. Another couple had a man try to trip the husband and made off with wallet. Only lost some money cause the thief took the money and threw down the wallet as he ran away.

Keep most money and credit cards well hidden in money belt. I, also, have purse that has steel in the strap and can't be cut according to the advertisement.

• I am on the September 14 Italy Small Groups departure so I won't get to meet you. But I have traveled to Italy before and have two additional security tips that have served me well: 1) never have all of your credit cards in one place - keep one or two in your wallet and have a back-up card in the hotel safe; 2) Always carry with your important documents (and lock in the safe) a list of each credit card number, the issuing bank, and the collect call number (NOT an 800 number) on the back of each card. That will be invaluable if one or more of the cards are stolen. Also, put a copy of your passport in your wallet (needed for some financial transactions) and leave the original in the safe unless instructed otherwise by your guide. And leave one of your shoes in the safe the night before departure so you won't forget to empty the safe. Can't tell you how many times I have heard of people leaving valuables in their safe. Follow the other rules - don't get distracted by people dropping mustard on you, etc (while they try to pick your pockets); at the first sight of any commotion back away quickly. Some thieves will even use babies or children to distract you - just get away from them even if you have to push. And men - don't think putting your wallet in your front pocket is the answer - my friend lost his wallet that way in Venice a few years ago and he never felt it happen. I am looking forward to a great trip and wish that to you as well. Don't be paranoid - just be careful. We have the same issues in large US cities.
  • Crackers/Smarks - Thanks for the security tips. I have seen many of these tricks in other countries, so will definitely keep my guard up in Italy. One thing I am trying on this trip is to wear "Pick Pocket Proof" slacks from Clothingarts.com. I have no personal connection to that company, so please don't think I shilling for them, but I liked their products over a money belt. It might be an option others want to check out. All of the security suggestions are excellent, and I'm making notes. The shoe in the safe idea is certainly creative, and would definitely be effective.

Doug, I look forward to meeting you and Paula.

Keith
  • Crackers/Smarks - Thanks for the security tips. I have seen many of these tricks in other countries, so will definitely keep my guard up in Italy. One thing I am trying on this trip is to wear "Pick Pocket Proof" slacks from Clothingarts.com. I have no personal connection to that company, so please don't think I shilling for them, but I liked their products over a money belt. It might be an option others want to check out. All of the security suggestions are excellent, and I'm making notes. The shoe in the safe idea is certainly creative, and would definitely be effective.

Doug, I look forward to meeting you and Paula.

Keith

Hi, again, Keith. Thanks for the tip on Clothingarts trousers. I have several pairs of Global Traveler slacks from Royal Robbins that have a deep, zippered front pocket that I use for credit cards and cash. So far, no problems. They look a bit more casual, but will go OK with a blazer. And they weigh next to nothing and dry overnight after a good washing in the sink or shower.

Does anyone know if the high-end hotels where we are staying will have washcloths? A few years ago, we spent four days prior to a Med cruise at a lovely small hotel in Venice near San Marco. No washcloths there and we were told that they are just not part of the European culture.

Mike
  • I have a hunch that Tauck has the power to ask that things like washcloths are provided for their clients. Maybe Tauck Tim can find out.
  • edited August 2014
    Mike, in my experience, wash cloths are hit or miss in hotels across Europe. I always pack one in a zip-lock bag just in case.
  • You're probably right, British. If anyone can make it happen, Tauck is probably the company to do so. I'll bring along my favorite scrubbie in a Ziplock just in case.

We've only done one Tauck tour -- Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Mount Rushmore -- and they did a fine job. We were impressed enough with that one experience to give them a try on this tour of Italy. The itinerary is fantastic and we believe that the small-group nature of the tour will make it even more enjoyable. It's great that we have a few people already getting acquainted here. Hard to believe that it's only two months away. I personally was happy to get the notice of final payment a couple of days ago . . . my credit card, not so much.

Mike
  • We bought some inexpensive washclothes, and will donate them to the hotel when we leave.
    Starting to make final decisions on clothes.
  • If the hotel doesn't supply small washcloths, I just use the "big washcloths" (hand towels) :)
  • Travel documents arrived from Tauck in yesterday's mail. Very helpful and informative. This promises to be a really good tour.
  • Hello members of the October 5,2014 small group,
    We are on this trip also. Arriving on the 4th. We are not making any plans for the 4th at this time. We are from Wisconsin, this is our first trip to Italy.
    Looking forward to experiencing the tour with all of you. We love good food, good wine, art, theater, music, good conversation, new experiences.,
    Christine and Rick
  • Christine/Rick - welcome aboard. So far only three couples and one solo have logged onto this thread stating they are on the 5 Oct tour, so we may have a very small group, indeed. I also arrive on 4 Oct and hope to see Capri on the 5th before the entire group meets for dinner that evening. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else.

Keith
  • Thank you Keith for the welcome. We are anxious to meet our fellow travelers. How are you getting around during your touring day? We arrive mid-day on Saturday.
  • Crikky wrote:
    Thank you Keith for the welcome. We are anxious to meet our fellow travelers. How are you getting around during your touring day? We arrive mid-day on Saturday.

I hope the town of Sorrento is within walking distance of our hotel. I like to walk when first arriving overseas - it helps me to stay awake and fight jet lag. I'll probably just check out the hotel and wander around Sorrento on Saturday the 4th until the time zone difference gets to me. On Sunday, I plan to see Capri. Reportedly, there is a hydrofoil to Capri that you can board not far from our hotel. There should be time to see the Isle before our welcome dinner that evening.

Have a safe trip.

Keith
  • Hi, we are in the middle of our small group tour of classic Italy and it is fabulous. Great guide in Florence.She is funny and very knowledgeable.plenty of wash cloths and so far no pickpockets. You have to be careful as in any city. Hotels are great. The food and dinners we go to are outstanding. The local guides are great. No worries .in good hands. This is our third trip and each one has bed fantastico.
  • Hi, we are in the middle of our small group tour of classic Italy and it is fabulous. Great guide in Florence.She is funny and very knowledgeable.plenty of wash cloths and so far no pickpockets. You have to be careful as in any city. Hotels are great. The food and dinners we go to are outstanding. The local guides are great. No worries .in good hands. This is our third trip and each one has been fantastico.the hotel in sorrento is in middle of town and you can walk all over.
  • rihoto wrote:
    Hi, we are in the middle of our small group tour of classic Italy and it is fabulous. Great guide in Florence.She is funny and very knowledgeable.plenty of wash cloths and so far no pickpockets. You have to be careful as in any city. Hotels are great. The food and dinners we go to are outstanding. The local guides are great. No worries .in good hands. This is our third trip and each one has been fantastico.the hotel in sorrento is in middle of town and you can walk all over.

Thanks for the update from on the ground and the information regarding the location of the hotel in Sorrento. Enjoy the rest of your trip - a bunch of us are close behind you and anxious for our experiences.

Keith
  • edited September 2014
    Travel documents arrived from Tauck in yesterday's mail. Very helpful and informative. This promises to be a really good tour.

We have not received our travel documents yet!!! Since your was stated AUGUST... I will be a little worried until talking with Tauck.

Ok.. We have our doc and we are ready to go!!
  • Hi Keith - We are on the same tour as you. My wife Sherri and I decided to take a big gamble and arrive on the day of the tour. Wish us luck with our airline connections! Sorry we won't be able to meet up with you on the 4th, but I'm sure we'll get to know each other on the tour. Buon Viaggio. Mike

Hi Keith, We are coming in Saturday about 5pm. Would love to join you and start the tour early.... wine and food.
    Larry & Sharon Keehne
  • I am a first-time solo Tauck traveler on the 5 Oct small group tour. I love Europe, but this is my first time to Italy and I'm really looking forward to it. Like others, I plan to arrive a day early (on the 4th) and spend some time recovering from jet lag and seeing a little of Sorrento or Capri before meeting everyone the evening of the 5th. Is anyone else arriving early? I know it's still a few months away, but I'd love to meet some fellow travelers over a plate of pasta and glass of wine. Ciao, Keith
  • lckeehne wrote:
    Hi Keith, We are coming in Saturday about 5pm. Would love to join you and start the tour early.... wine and food.
    Larry & Sharon Keehne

Larry/Sharon - welcome aboard. I arrive at Naples Airport at 1pm on Saturday the 4th, so I will be checked into our hotel by the time you arrive later that day. I will leave you a note at the Front Desk so we can perhaps meet up for dinner that evening. Look forward to meeting you.

Keith
  • Crikky wrote:
    Hello members of the October 5,2014 small group,
    We are on this trip also. Arriving on the 4th. We are not making any plans for the 4th at this time. We are from Wisconsin, this is our first trip to Italy.
    Looking forward to experiencing the tour with all of you. We love good food, good wine, art, theater, music, good conversation, new experiences.,
    Christine and Rick

Christine/Rick - what time do you arrive on the 4th? I arrive in Naples at 1pm and Larry and Sharon arrive at 5pm. Would you like to meet at the hotel and go out for dinner that evening?
  • Keith,
    We are scheduled to arrive in Venice at 11:00am. We will do some exploring. Dinner is a possibility. We will leave a note at the front desk for you. Maybe we can all meet in the lobby at a set time.
  • Crikky wrote:
    Keith,
    We are scheduled to arrive in Venice at 11:00am. We will do some exploring. Dinner is a possibility. We will leave a note at the front desk for you. Maybe we can all meet in the lobby at a set time.

Crikky -- I'm a little confused. Are you arriving in Venice on the 4th or in Sorrento? It will be difficult to have dinner if we are at opposite ends of the country.

Keith
  • Keith, I am wondering if we are on different tours. We are on the small group tour The Heart of Italy starting in Venice at the BAUERs L Hotel. The tour starts Sunday October 5. Not the same as The Classic. Have a great time, maybe we will cross paths.
  • Crikky wrote:
    Keith, I am wondering if we are on different tours. We are on the small group tour The Heart of Italy starting in Venice at the BAUERs L Hotel. The tour starts Sunday October 5. Not the same as The Classic. Have a great time, maybe we will cross paths.

You are correct - we are on different tours which begin on the same day. Your tour begins in Venice whereas my tour ends there. I hope you have a fabulous time on your tour, and I'm sorry we won't have a chance to meet. We will probably pass each other somewhere around Tuscany, so I'll be sure to wave.

Keith
  • Keith, we will be waving too. Have a great time.

• Hello fellow travelers, we are getting so excited. I look forward to meeting everyone. If anyone is interested we are having dinner at 7:30 PM at Bar Terrazza Longhi the Gritti Palace on the 4th as we arrive a day early.

See you soon!
    Sue and Stan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file