Options

Quicksilver catamaran trip

My wife is concerned about the logistics surrounding this activity. What can anybody tell us about the "platform"? What kind of changing facilities are there for those that swim? What about the semi submersible? Can anyone describe or recommend it?

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Go to www.quicksilver-cruises.com and you can find a great you tube video of the platform that Tauck uses at the Agincourt Reef. There are changing rooms and showers, food, the submersible and the underwater viewing platform. Everything I remember about the trip in a couple of minute video. This is a lovely trip with all the practicalities that a woman needs when she is going swimming from a boat, privacy, somewhere to change and so on, great.
  • Options
    There are total facilities for just about anything needed on the platform. Do the semi-submersible. The water was a bit murky when we were in it, but it was two days after a huge cyclone. Take advantage of the helicopter flight available for a slight extra cost. Well worth it and can be purchased on the cruise over to the platform. Full equipment is provided for all activities. Have no worries. We absolutely enjoyed our entire day. My wife snorkled and I flew!
  • Options
    lvgregger wrote:
    There are total facilities for just about anything needed on the platform. Do the semi-submersible. The water was a bit murky when we were in it, but it was two days after a huge cyclone. Take advantage of the helicopter flight available for a slight extra cost. Well worth it and can be purchased on the cruise over to the platform. Full equipment is provided for all activities. Have no worries. We absolutely enjoyed our entire day. My wife snorkled and I flew!

Was there time for a person to do both?
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, yes
  • Options
    But hopefully not at the same time. That could be awkward unless you were very skilled. Of course, as a Navy man, if I remember correctly ........ ;)
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    But hopefully not at the same time. That could be awkward unless you were very skilled. Of course, as a Navy man, if I remember correctly ........ ;)

:):) Well let's see- during my last year at the Academy and a few years after, I got involved in skydiving, so I suppose I could wear my snorkeling gear and a parachute while taking the helo ride- then leap out when the time was right. On second thought, naw!
  • Options
    What happened to Jonathanw did he see these responses?
  • Options
    British wrote:
    What happened to Jonathanw did he see these responses?
    He is new. My not check boards like we do.
  • Options
    crackers54 wrote:
    He is new. May not check boards like we do.

I would still check the forums for other info, but it sure would be nice if Tauck activated email alerts when a new post has been added to thread you are following.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I would suggest with just a little planning that you could fly and do the submersible as well as get in the water. When first on the Quicksilver be the first in line to purchase your helicopter flight. Have a great day. I hope you see sharks from the heli as we did.
  • Options
    You can make a helicopter reservation on the catamaran on the way out to the platform. We did the submersible, the helicopter and then snorkeled so I can tell you there's time for all three as long as you plan ahead. As mentioned, facilities on the platform are great; food, changing rooms, snorkeling equipment, etc. We had a wonderful day.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    BillWest66 wrote:
    You can make a helicopter reservation on the catamaran on the way out to the platform. We did the submersible, the helicopter and then snorkeled so I can tell you there's time for all three as long as you plan ahead. As mentioned, facilities on the platform are great; food, changing rooms, snorkeling equipment, etc. We had a wonderful day.

Thanks, Bill!!!

Question- what is included with the Tauck tour and what is not? I would assume the helo ride is extra $.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yes heli ride is extra
    Regarding getting a notification when you receive a reply on the forum, it used to work, do wish they would re- instate, it has to be a simple thing to do. Plus, I am almost positive that when you hovered over the poster's name, you saw a profile of all their previous posts to get an idea of what someone was about---the variety of mine would make interesting reading these days. It really would be nice to know of any of the first time posters see any replies. A few months ago I was thinking it was not worth Tauck spending the money on forum improvements, but now I am re-thinking.i don't do Facebook, so no idea how active that is for Tauck questions
  • Options
    I've been posting and answering questions for a very long time. Actually, I posted even before this Forum existed. Prior to this Forum there was a fairly rudimentary Ask & Share board. It was difficult to follow and very hard to know where exactly to post a question so as to have any chance of a) your question being noticed and b) answered. Even so, after time it did build into a useful resource.

When this Forum appeared all that useful, but strangely organised, information was lost. Just wiped out.

Now we have a body of information that could be a very useful resource. But people don't seem to look for any answers or to sift through the available answers for ones that might suit their question, or indeed their opinions.

Now, judging by comments from one of the moderators, it looks like we are set for another reincarnation the Forum. I wonder what that will bring. Will we all have to start from scratch? Again?

Over all these years I have become used to people asking questions, sometimes urgently ... sometimes vehemently. If they don't agree, I guess they don't say thank you, or carry the conversation any further. So often you have no idea if your answer was useful or not. I do sometimes wonder why I persist. Possibly because I'm an Aussie of Irish extraction. Possibly because I'm not a US citizen and I know there are other people in the world who travel, and travel with Tauck, who appreciate different points of view. And also because, occasionally, some of the questions are so awful, so ... out there ... and some of the answers so funny, how could someone resist. Not a passionate traveller and scribbler like me, anyway.

Cheer,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi Jan,
    I, too, am a leftover (VERY bad choice of words...perhaps, alumnus) from the "Ask and Share" era and am so sorry that all of that great information was lost. After 13 Tauck trips, I have found the Forum/Ask and Share (what's with the Tauck "Ask and Share", "Hope and Trust", etc. compound verb tag lines) to be incredibly helpful. While I have been disappointed about the number of fellow travelers on any given trip responding to my posts, I have found the posts of previous travelers the most helpful part of planning for a future trip! On a positive note, I have posted my personal email on a number of posts and have been amazed by the number of folks with whom I have corresponded. When I look back at my "Tauck Folder", I am reminded about those posts, and many of those people have responded to me and continue to do so as they continue to travel with Tauck. We compare trips and tips! I would hate to se the previous posts lost to a new format. Hopefully, the new format continues with the history of the destinations!
    Joyce
  • Options
    I think we might be the only two regulars left, Joyce, from the olden days. We might have to organise a reunion!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    I remember Ask and Share, I read it often but only posted a few times, had a different 'name' on that site. Every time I tried to Put in my real name for the new Forum, it was taken already. Yes, lots of useful tips lost from that site, I used many of them for my Tauck tours.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    WOW!! Thanks to all for the information. We did find the web site, but the information that you all provided was much more helpful.

This will be our third Tauck trip, but our first post. What is the protocol on posting questions? If I am looking for information on other aspects of the trip, should I do a separate post?
  • Options
    Hello Jonathan, best to start with a new question for specific thing, but as you may notice, things often go off at a tangent.
    Jan is the expert, she is Australian and lives in Melbourne and travels extensively. Alan is good at techy stuff. I have done the Tauck Australia tour a few years ago and just got back from the New Zealand tour. They are exactly the same separately as together, though there have been changes to hotels and even itinerary in the past couple of years.
    You can obviously tell how often people post by the number by our names. I have done about 18 tours with Tauck plus quite a bit of independent travels. Don't hesitate to ask, you'll get a variety of opinions and tips
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I'll chime in here also. I'm still a Tauck rookie but have traveled some courtesy of my Uncle ("Sam" :) so I do know a few things, but I find there is always something new to learn or old info that needs updating, so I read this forum regularly.

The first thing I do when I consider a new trip is to make a "book"- First, I read all the the reviews and forum questions/comments. Then, using my computer - I cut, reformat, and paste the Tauck itinerary into an MSword document. I add the route map, photos of the hotels, and photos of many of the on-tour attractions to the facing pages, opposite the itinerary (typically 1 to 3 days of the itinerary per page). I use this full color "book" to make my pitch to LOML.

Once she has agreed ("relented"?) and months before we are due to travel, I do more research. I re-read all the forum posts for that particular tour and related tours, and start another document. I do a "cut" of useful and interesting forum info and "paste" into another MSWord document, e.g. the posts about Quicksilver, the Agincourt Reef diving platform, helo, and semi-submersible (thanks British, lvgregger, and Bill!). According to the Quicksilver website, the helo makes a very brief 10 min. flight, so is a bit pricey, but hey, you only live once. I add my own notes, Wikipedia info, links to websites, and even photos, etc. when appropriate. On days where one or more meals are scheduled to be "on our own" I use Google to investigate restaurants mentioned in the forums, at the hotel, and in the surrounding area. I will often print out their menus. Before I did this, both of us found we were wasting too much touring time, especially searching for places to each lunch. Sometimes I will also do a Google Maps "street view" walk-around of certain areas to determine if we want to walk there, e.g. I did this earlier today to check out places to eat dinner when we arrive in Ennis, Ireland and to see what it would be like to walk from our hotel to Kilkenny Castle later in the tour (Answer: No).

This process is certainly not for everyone, but I find it really helps when we have decisions to make, like what to do if we arrive early, during our free time, or where to eat. I think it enhances our trip and in no way detracts from the Tauck experience or those little Tauck surprises. But that is just me and my wife says I'm a tad OCD : )
  • Options
    Wow. And I thought I was ... um ... keen on being prepared. ;)

Great tips, though. Really. Yep, wandering around looking for somewhere to have a quick bite at lunchtime when you could be enjoying a wonderful view with a take away sandwich. (And I do mean a simple sandwich, not a roll and not half a cow! ;)) )

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    With only three Tauck experiences behind me I'm certainly not an experienced Tauck traveler but I have been on these boards for a number of years now. When I joined up in late 2009 it was an Ask and Share forum that helped me immensely with my first Tauck adventure. Since the "update" it had not come close, IMO, to providing a similar service. I found that Tauck travelers are a happy close knit family but my experience also shows that these days very few on your trip even know that these forums exist and that's sad.

A bit like Alan I plan and plan and plan. It helps pass the time between booking and going and sometimes it has really helped. I only post advice on the trips I've taken and thus my posting history has slowed up these days but I like this forum and the sound advice that the "regulars" give to the newcomers. Now back to watching the possibility of a cyclone developing in the north of my state.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Looks like we're up to 4 old posters! Surely that's enough for a party? :))

I couldn't see any cyclone warnings on the BOM site, Rod .... are you looking at that blob over the Coral Sea? Hope it doesn't turn nasty on you. Lotsa rain is one thing, but lotsa blowing is another.

Cheers,

Jan
    Correction: 5 old posters. :)) Definitely worthy of an afternoon tea party!
  • Options
    Although I don' t post as often as I used to, I've been o the board since about May of 05 after our classic Italy trip. Please excuse the errors. I'm just now learning how to use. The iPad i got for Christmas. It was May of '04.
  • Options
    Hello -- Just back from the Aussie/NZ tour. Fabulous is not a strong enough word to describe the experience.
    Regarding Great Barrier Reef and Quicksilver - it has everything as noted. Do see the You Tube which makes it clear how easy it is to get in/out of the water. There are a zillion staff people on hand who can help with everything.

Several additions:
    1) there are special goggles for people who wear glasses. When you get your equipment, go to the goggles first to get one that suits you if this is important.
    2) We went snorkeling with a Marine Biologist who is aboard the craft. Our guy Tom was great, took us out beyond the area where most of the group was swimming and we where could see more. He was just terrific. You can sign up for an hour with a Marine Biologist when you are on board.

3) Our one regret is that we did not use the next day, a 'free day' on the itinerary in Palm Cove, as a time to return and do more diving.
    Palm Cove is quiet and cute, but does not offer much to do. You cannot charter a boat from there to go out, as all charters leave from Port Douglas. We'd really have enjoyed another opportunity at the GBR and could have done that if only we knew in advance to make those arrangements, as most companies who go to the GBR will readily come and pick you up.
  • Options
    Thanks, another great bit of useful info!

I'll add one note about goggles. SCUBA divers and serious snorkelers already know this, but, if you plan to snorkel with goggles instead of a face mask, be aware that you can't go too much below the surface (must stay within the top 5' or so. You can't dive down to look at anything on the bottom without significant eye/face discomfort. Unlike you do with a face mask, you can't exhale through your nose to add additional air into goggles to equalize the pressure as you go deeper. The farther from the surface you get, the tighter goggles press against your face/eye sockets. It is probably not an issue, since most people using goggles will not be attempting to go much below the surface anyway, but I just thought I would mention this.

A couple of other options if you need corrective lenses, are unable to rent a corrective mask, and don't want to buy one and carry it with you-

1. you can wear most contacts as long as you are careful and don't blink if your mask fills with water or you remove the mask when your head is under water,

2. Buy a corrective "drop in" insert (see first pic-it must match the style of mask, however),

3. I haven't seen these lately, but there used to be a suction cup device that allowed you to mount a pair of glasses (with ear pieces removed) to the inside of the face plate of a classic oval mask. For that you can use an inexpensive (<$5) pair of cheaters. If you are handy, you might be able to make a set.

Aquavizlensinsertwithpolarizedlenses-150x150.jpg

076-158-01a.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file