Options

Things you wish you knew before you did this trip...

Hi,
If you have taken this trip, please let us know if there was anything you wish you had known before you went ie. Wardrobe choices, currency suggestions, altitude medications, luggage, gadgets, etc.
Thanks very much.

HML

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    HML- there is a plethora of info on the individual forums for these tours:

Peru and the Galápagos Islands

Empire of the Incas: Peru & Bolivia and the Galápagos Islands

Mystical Peru

Cruising the Galápagos

You'll find some great info and lessons learned about altitude sickness (medications, availability oxygen, what not to eat or drink), clothing (layering), snorkeling, wet suits, what type of shoes to wear for wet and dry landing, and during land walks in the Galapagos, etc. etc.

Enjoy your trip! This one is on my "to do" list.

• Options
    AlanS,
    Thank you for replying.
    I have read, and enjoyed, many of the posts you mentioned. But, I am still curious to know if anyone might have had a "Gee, I wish I had known that" moment...
    Only 2.5 months until we leave... :o))
    Thanks again. I appreciate all your input.

HML
  • Options
    I researched everything in on-line guidebooks and from this forum before I went to Galapagos. I can't think of any 'Wish I had known that' moments. We did not go to Peru because of altitude sickness risks. We did find out from the boat crew that they could tell the people who had been to Peru first because they were more likely to be unwell when they arrived in the Galapagos. That just confirmed for us that we had made the right decision for us.
    Please be more specific with questions and I would be glad to help.
  • Options
    I will repeat some things I have already mentioned in previous posts...
    Peru: I have never had a problem with high altitudes before, but I sure did in Cusco! I wish I had been more proactive and brought medication that would have eliminated a night and day of suffering. With that said, my husband did not and he was just fine! Go figure!
    Galapagos: This goes under the category of "So glad I Brought..." For me, it was all about the sun! I was very glad I had brought a "sun blouse" with me. These are sun-resistant blouses in a wicking fabric, with roll-up sleeves, zippered pockets, extra fabric on the collar (neck protection), etc. They are Columbia, North Face or REI brand. I wore mine over a tank top, and I literally wore my blouse out! In fact, I guess I would have brought two or three had I realized how much I would use it. Also, I was so glad I had a wide brimmed, yet cool, hat! A baseball cap just does not give the shade protection you need. You cannot always be assured of walking directly into the sun!
    Also, I brought a very useful book with me, Galapagos Wildlife: A Visitor's Guide ,by David Horwell and Pete Oxford. It is small enough to be portable, and it was interesting to read about the animals/birds we had seen and the places we had been or were about to visit. Very informative!
    Word of Caution: If you feel the need to bring hiking poles, PLEASE practice using them beforehand!! We had a number of fellow travelers who were using them for the first time and had a tendency to flail them about or drag them behind making it VERY treacherous for those of us who did not use or need them!! Most dangerous part of the trip, in my opinion!
  • Options
    HMLHML
    edited February 2015
    British,
    Thank you for taking some time to reply.
    We will definitely be making use of some high altitude medications - I'm not willing to take any chances.
    And, I plan to enjoy every single moment to the fullest... :o))

Joycesw,

Thank you for the info/comments.
    We will be away from home for a total of three weeks. I hope to be able to get away with just a 21 inch carry on bag and maybe a small tote - A lofty goal for me!!
    Due to the fact that I sunburn very quickly, I do have a couple of the "sun shirts" you mentioned. Based on your comments, I will definitely be taking at least one of those with me.
    Thanks again!

HML
    :o))
  • Options
    At the end of the Galapagos trip onboard the ship there is a basket that you can deposit things you do not wish to pack to take back home. Several of us left behind our sandals we wore on the wet landings. The sandals will be given to those in need. I also left my big tube of SPF50 sunscreen. I found only one handy outlet to charge my camera batteries and my cell phone in the room. Make sure your hat has ties so it will stay one when the wind blows.
  • Options
    packinhappy,

Thank you for your input.
    It is nice to have some info about electrical outlets.
    We have a travel sized power bar, so if we have one outlet we can charge three items at the same time. And, equally as important, we are less likely to forget something that might otherwise have been plugged into another outlet somewhere. :o))
    I will honour your suggestion about hats that can be tied.
    Only 2.5 weeks until we leave home... :o))
    Thank you again.

HML
  • Options
    When we were in Quito taking a tour of the cathedral one of our group was "bumped" into by a little boy and while paying attention to him, another little one grabbed his camera which he never saw again. Right there in the cathedral!

I did a little research on altitude sickness and learned that an excellent remedy is to take 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day the day before and first day at altitude. Worked wonders for us as we had absolutely no problems even at Machu Picchu when others were sick as dogs.
  • Options
    Johnel5 wrote:
    When we were in Quito taking a tour of the cathedral one of our group was "bumped" into by a little boy and while paying attention to him, another little one grabbed his camera which he never saw again. Right there in the cathedral!

I did a little research on altitude sickness and learned that an excellent remedy is to take 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day the day before and first day at altitude. Worked wonders for us as we had absolutely no problems even at Machu Picchu when others were sick as dogs.

johnel5 - thanks for the "heads up" re the cathedral in Quito. Also - very interesting and helpful re altitude sickness, ibuprofen taken 4 times a day. Is that a TOTAL of 600mg per day, or 600mg each time = 2400 per day? Your response would be much appreciated.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I did a little research on altitude sickness and learned that an excellent remedy is to take 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day the day before and first day at altitude. Worked wonders for us as we had absolutely no problems even at Machu Picchu when others were sick as dogs. [/quote]

Yikes, everyone check with your doctor before using this remedy! For example, do you already take aspirin? Are you over fifty? Are you planning on taking other remedies with you that might contain the same drug? Were you planning on drinking alcohol?
  • Options
    Yes - sounds like a killer daily dose of ibuprofen to me but I'm assuming I misunderstood what was written! My kidneys started to ache just reading it! Acetazolamide seems to be the "drug of choice" but bear in mind that it's a diuretic and therefore am wondering whether or not Machu Picchu is conveniently peppered with "facilities"! Among the best advice I have read here re altitude malaise is to eat light, move slow, breathe deep, drink (water) lots. Will have all the meds mentioned with me as a precaution but am still undecided about what to take, how much, and when! To all reading this who are about to experience this adventure: HAVE A GREAT AND MEMORABLE TIME.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'll throw in my two cents about altitude on this trip...you fly into Cusco (@11,000+ ft) and then immediately leave to spend a night in the Sacred Valley (@9,000ft). The next night is spent at Machu Picchu (@8,000 ft., the lowest elevation of the three places) and then return to Cusco. One would think that two nights at lower elevations would allow one to acclimate to the higher elevation, and for many this does work. The advice that jhtnyc offers is excellent (along with no alcohol). However, for me (who has never had a problem as high as 10,500 ft) that did not work! I needed the meds, and once a friend had given me one pill, I was fine(I had not been proactive since I never had any previous problems...WRONG!). Go figure! Your TD will advise you about when to start meds.
  • Options
    Johnel5,

Yikes. One would LIKE to assume that a Cathedral would be a safe place. But, obviously, not necessarily. Thanks for the reminder.
    Even though we already have our prescriptions filled, I also did some research about using Ibuprofen for altitude sickness. We will take some with us, so we have some options.
    Again, thank you.

HML
    :0))

• Options
    I'm not sure it's appropriate to assume any place, even a cathedral, per se, is exempt from inappropriate activity. Money changers in the temple comes to mind. I think one always must be aware of one's immediate environment. The more things change …. plus c'est la meme chose.
  • Options
    Yes, believe it or not, that's 600 mg four times a day but you only need it the day before and first day of altitude.
    The prescription Motrin has been available in 400 mg, 600 mg and 800 mg strengths for years so that's not out of the norm.
  • Options
    My husband and I just returned from the WONDERFUL Peru and Galapagos Islands trip and I'd like to add one more item for sun protection - in the water.
    A UPF 50+ head covering. Our guide lent us each a 'buff' (a stretchy head covering) and they worked great. The boutique shop on the Isabela had a few and they sold out quickly once everyone saw what we had.
    We had planned to wear handkerchiefs but they were in my check bag that never made it out of Lima airport on the way to Guayaquil. (which had just happened the previous week to another traveler so take advantage of all the carry-ons you can)
    Get set for a memorable trip!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file