Weather- China, Yangtze westbound, September 15, 2015

For those who have done this trip, is it still really warm the second half of September. Cities warmer than cruise? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Hello pjh1,

I'm going on this tour in October but here's what i found out from looking around weather websites:

City: Ave. High/Ave. Low in F

Beijing: 80/59
    Xian: 77/61
    Shanghai: 81/70
    Guilin: 86/72

Looks like the key is dressing in layers.

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks
  • Going on September 15 tour. I know Bob out of DC is going and I am Pam from Atlanta. Anyone else joining us?
  • Yes Kirk and Jann from Seattle
  • Yes Kirk and Jann from Seattle
  • Hi Pam, Jann and Kirk,

Actually I am traveling from DC, but am from Fairfax, VA and Vail, CO. I'm currently in Vail until the end of the month.

Since our posts are spread among a few different threads, I will add that I have gotten all of the vaccinations, Hep A&B, DPT, Typhoid, Yellow Fever (Rqrd for different trip), and will be getting my Flu shot when I return to Fairfax at the end of the month. I also have Atovaquone-proguanil anti-malaria medication, Ciproflaxin for GI bacterial issues, and Azythromycin for respiratory bacterial issues. I took Atovaquone-proguanil when I went to India 3 years ago and had no side effects. Check with your doctor as to what medications you should included for your travels.

As far as weather:

Hong Kong - High 83 | Low 74
    Shanghai - High 77 | Low 65
    Yichang - High 71 | Low 61
    Chongqing - High 80 | Low 65
    Guilin - High 80 | Low 65
    Xi'an - High 74 | Low 57
    Beijing - High 75 | Low 52

Check the embedded links above in about four weeks for more accurate numbers.
  • Just wanted to remind people that the quickest way to get an idea about weather on any Tauck tour before you pinpoint a tour to suit you is to go the Before You Go section on your tour page and find the weather section. It provides temperatures and rainfall for the majority of the stops on tours. See what you think, then if necessary go to more weather specific sites. Just don't book any vacation until you check all things out about where you are going, also think about things like national holidays that might affect you favorite museum or world heritage site being closed the day you are visiting.
  • Bob Morrow wrote:
    Hi Pam, Jann and Kirk,

Actually I am traveling from DC, but am from Fairfax, VA and Vail, CO. I'm currently in Vail until the end of the month.

Since our posts are spread among a few different threads, I will add that I have gotten all of the vaccinations, Hep A&B, DPT, Typhoid, Yellow Fever (Rqrd for different trip), and will be getting my Flu shot when I return to Fairfax at the end of the month. I also have Atovaquone-proguanil anti-malaria medication, Ciproflaxin for GI bacterial issues, and Azythromycin for respiratory bacterial issues. I took Atovaquone-proguanil when I went to India 3 years ago and had no side effects. Check with your doctor as to what medications you should included for your travels.

As far as weather:

Hong Kong - High 83 | Low 74
    Shanghai - High 77 | Low 65
    Yichang - High 71 | Low 61
    Chongqing - High 80 | Low 65
    Guilin - High 80 | Low 65
    Xi'an - High 74 | Low 57
    Beijing - High 75 | Low 52

Check the embedded links above in about four weeks for more accurate numbers.
  • Thank you so much for the info Bob. We are really looking forward to the trip. Jann
  • Hi Pam, Bob, Kirk, and Jann,

Steve and I are going on the September 15 tour to China. I am heading to my doctor today to see what he suggests. I have printed government vacination guidelines for China. Thank you for the information that you all provided.

Louise
  • Hi all! Not sure if this will post as it seems the system is doing weird stuff, so I will try again.....anyone coming in late to Hong Kong thru Seattle and wanting to do something on 9/15 prior to tour beginning? Was thinking of a walk to the flower, bird and jade markets - nothing too strenuous for the jet lagged brain! Anyone want to join me? Al & Kristi are you by any chance flying Delta thru Seattle to Hong Kong on the 11:05am flight?
  • Hi there -
    We are also on the China Westbount trip starting 9/15/15. We are from NJ - & arriving a day early. We're looking forward to the experience, but I have to admit I am a bit anxious about the "distance" as well as the health concerns (pollution , water, etc.). Planning to get the Hep A this week but after reading the CDC recommendations, I'm thinking that's the only immunization we'll get (have had DPT & flu shot). Good idea to take z-Pac (sinus infection) & ciprofloxacin (bacterial diarrhea).
    This will be our third Tauck trip-so I'm comfortable that our accommodations will be excellent & we will be in good hands.
    Looking forward to meeting our travel companions & hearing your "preparation" plans. ????

June
    Jer2smile@aol.com
  • Hi Everyone,

We are getting ready to go on the Sept. 15th trip. We are arriving 2 days early. We are flying out of LAX on Cathay. Does anyone have any idea how much cash we will need for China? I'm planning on getting Chinese Yuan before leaving? I know Europe prices but not Asia.

Thanks,
    Jann and Kirk
  • JannEllen wrote:
    Regaring the weather, I was rather lazy at the time I made my reservation for my 2018 China trip, figuring that a company that had been around almost a hundred years would have trained their associates about answering weather related questions, and also I'd had a couple of wonderful international trips in June, so I relied on the positive reply I received from the reservationist about the weather in China in June (naturally it varies somewhat in a country that size). That being said, as I got close to my trip date, I started talking with people who'd been to China, including someone who was raised there. Lo and behold, they all said the weather in June is extremely hot and humid & is the start of the rainy season. The man who grew up in China said October is the best month--good weather and leaves changing. I'd read the posting from the unfortunate person who wasn't informed about the national holiday the first month of October, so I knew to book later in the month.
    I belately researched the weather, confirmed that October would probably be best, and changed all my reservations. I paid a $450 airfare charge, plus increased fare--probably different day of week or maybe more expensive that time of year. Luckily, I didn't have to pay any additional penalties and was able to get a room on the river boat. Live and learn, will definitely research carefully prior to making future reservations, especially to unfamiliar parts of the world. The tip on checking for holidays was a good one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file