attire

What do people wear for dinner on the ship? From the pictures, attire while sightseeing looks to be nice casual. On a previous Tauck cruise, dress for dinner was described as cruise casual with jackets optional for the men. Suggestions for attire for the receptions would be appreciated.

Comments

• RLBGA --

I am not the most experienced of travelers, but from the previous tours I've taken with Tauck and other companies, I think there is usually quite a range of formality in attire, and no one need worry too much about looking out of place. For me, the location and purpose of the occasion determine the attire. At the Savoy in London and for the welcome and farewell dinners on the ship, I'd expect most people to dress up a bit more than for the other meals on board. "Elegant casual" attire is the phrase I always encounter when reading advice on what to pack for evenings. Men do not wear coats and ties; women do not wear formal gowns. In most parts of the world, those days are gone.

Anyone of a differing opinion? I'd truly be interested to hear if you think I'm on the wrong track!

J of Grey Cottage
  • RLBGA --

I am not the most experienced of travelers, but from the previous tours I've taken with Tauck and other companies, I think there is usually quite a range of formality in attire, and no one need worry too much about looking out of place. For me, the location and purpose of the occasion determine the attire. At the Savoy in London and for the welcome and farewell dinners on the ship, I'd expect most people to dress up a bit more than for the other meals on board. "Elegant casual" attire is the phrase I always encounter when reading advice on what to pack for evenings. Men do not wear coats and ties; women do not wear formal gowns. In most parts of the world, those days are gone.

Anyone of a differing opinion? I'd truly be interested to hear if you think I'm on the wrong track!

J of Grey Cottage

I could not agree more. I live in a tropical climate where suits, ties and coats are seldom seen except for the most solem occassions, weddings and funerals. I went on the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in September 2011 sure after reading comments on this board that my wife and I would stand out in our "elegant casual" attire. Happily I was very wrong. Whilst it was true some gentlemen wore coats and ties many didn't and I never felt out of place. My advice has always been - You're on a holiday and as long as you don't turn up for a meal wearing a Jacky Howe singlet, shorts and boots then you'll pass muster with me. Dress as you would if you were going out somewhere at home.
  • Most gentlemen of a certain age prefer a blazer, no tie and a shirt with a collar. Ladies prefer something nice.....dinner at the country club, church on Sunday, out to a nice restaurant at home. A nice scarf dresses up a plain shift dress. Makes you feel good to look your best, without going all out
  • Ok, here is another view. As I am on vacation, it's a pain in the neck to have to consider what and how I am going to get those extra outfits in the suitcase when I am one of those people who doesn't want to take more than the Tauxk described luggage restrictions. Then to find that on occasion there isn't any time to change for dinner after return from a day touring.
    I am not sure what is meant by gentleman of a certain age, Tauck travelers can be any age, if you can explain what age that is, then anyone wearing a blazer, I will know their age, that is so useful. I last wore a blazer as part of my school uniform and I am female, that's confusing.
  • Margraves wrote:
    Most gentlemen of a certain age prefer a blazer, no tie and a shirt with a collar. Ladies prefer something nice.....dinner at the country club, church on Sunday, out to a nice restaurant at home. A nice scarf dresses up a plain shift dress. Makes you feel good to look your best, without going all out

Sorry, but it also depends on the man/woman, where they live, what their profession is, income, time of year etc.

You mention church. We lived in Northern Virginia for years and there typical church attire (at least for traditional services) was suit/jacket & tie for men and dress or dressy pants suit for women. This varied a bit in the summer when high temps and humidity tended to result in more casual wear. Now we live in the SW and I don't think more than 10% of the men here where even a sport coat and maybe 20% of women wear a dress/skirt. More skirts in the summer and pants in the winter. Not at all uncommon to see jeans, cowboy boots (including the pastor), etc. It's just more casual in this area of the country.

If a specific dress code is expressed by Tauck i.e. for certain dinners/occasions/locations then yes I think it behoves us to comply. If you signed up for a tour and that's what they listed in the Packing List, suck it up and don't complain. However, the rest of the time it's up to the person. Within the Tauck guidelines, dress up as much as you like and are willing to pack. And most importantly, don't let your enjoyment be effected by what someone else is comfortable wearing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file