Options

Digital stuff and phones on Savor

I WROTE SOME WRONG INFO HERE - I will try to correct it.

Just to be clear - we have ATT, iPhone 6 phones. Two years ago, things were different, and people on our Poland tour ( not Tauck) had all kinds of SIM cards, special plans, etc. - we just put Skype on our old 4S phones. We originally went with ATT, since they are quad-band - which we were told had more international capability. Well - things have changed somewhat, I guess. If you are NOT going to use any data or phone on your own cellphone, and are going to stick with WiFi on the ship or in the hotel, as well as SKYPE for call and text (which means you must be on WiFi or at a hotpsot) then it seems that ANY smartphone will do the job. This is for folks like us that have almost nobody to call at home, and just need to see email, etc. If someone has a NEED to have their real cellphone number ring - business, etc. - and MUST be able to connect thru phone lines all over Europe - then you need to figure THAT one out for yourself! But I left "vacation messages" for business calls on my home landline AND cellphone number, put a few extra bucks into my SKYPE account in case I HAD to call a landline back home ( Police? Alarm company?) - other wise, SKYPE is FREE between people who both install it. The WiFi on the boat is dicey - there are stretches son the river where we are out of luck. When the boats are docked, we found it easier to connect. BTW - the cabins have iHome radios, so you can play your own music, radio stations, etc, - IF you bring the right cable! **** For audio, you need a mini to mini audio cable - same size plugs as the end of your earbuds. The Fire to USB cable is for charging, data transfer, etc. SO SORRY that I wrote the previous error in haste.**** I travel with all kinds of wires and adapters - got it to work - or, bring a Bluetooth speaker. ALSO - buy some backup phone recharge batteries - the kind you charge in your computer, or in the wall - I kept one in a pocket, wired to my phone, which I used as a camera - never ran down my power! Again - leaving the CAMERA mode running while you walk on a tour will eat power fast. Got one from eBay, one from Groupon - for a small fraction of a Power Monkey or one of the snooty brands. ONE of us needs to have the Yankees scores every day, and sports talk shows - so I am the one who insures that possibility.

OK - anything else I can answer? Glad to - as you can tell by the length of replies . . . . oops . .

Pauline

Comments

• Options
    By the way - you can download for FREE, from the APP store, all kinds of WiFi finders that will tell you where ALL the hotpots are, all over the world. If someone does not know - a hotspot is a place where you can pick up free WiFi. Some are in restaurants and businesses (like in the US - every Panera, MacDonalds, Barnes and Noble, etc., as well as other establishments), where you can order a coffee and sit - other are just wide open to anyone going by, and work JUST like the free WiFi in your hotel or the ship - sometimes with a BETTER connection. Some are MUNICIPAL - the whole town has free WiFi! However - be safe, and download some cellphone security programs before you leave home. I use Adblock and a VPN program - has worked for me so far.

Pauline

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file