Options

what types of gifts to bring children

Leaving thursday on the classic safari and one of the days we go to visit african children I would like to bring stuff. Please can anyone give suggestions on what I can buy.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    If it is the school in Tanzania, it is the Tumaini school. You could email Carolvhall@gmail.com who sends newsletters about the school to us for the latest needs and suggestions. Money is the easiest gift to take though! Or contact. Roni Goldberg at Tauck's World of Giving at rgoldberg@tauck.com for suggestions. The school visit is one of the highlights of the tour.
  • Options
    We visited the Oloirobi Primary School outside the Ngorongoro Crater. We brought things like crayons, pencils, sharpeners, jump ropes, etc. . Someone on the Forum suggested deflated soccer balls (and the pin needed to blow them up) which I thought was a great idea as the kids actually showed us a game they do with soccer balls. This is a school that is supported by the Serena hotels and previous Tauck guests donated enough money for them to build a new latrine which was sorely needed. Visiting the school was a great experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    We visited the school outside Ngorongoro crater on the K&T last June. The students were on break but a number of them were there studying for upcoming tests. They can use just about anything. Tauck and the Serena hotel amongst others (USAID, etc.) support the school and are helping to fund a new cafeteria and all-purpose building. But to put things in perspective, we asked why the students we saw were carrying sticks or pieces of wood- they bring it to school each day for the fire used to cook lunch!

Money would be greatly appreciated by the administrators and staff, but I suspect the students would rather have school or athletic supplies. It was interesting to note that when asked what he "needed/wanted", the head of the school said a copier would be great- I can see one of those would be very helpful, but, as our TD pointed out, while a copier would be nice, they first they need electricity! There is no heat, lighting, nor much else other than bench seats in the classrooms.

On the morning of day 4, after leaving Ngorongoro we stopped briefly at the school before heading off to Oldupai Gorge and the Serengeti. Unless Tauck has changed the itinerary, you will be traveling in the safari vehicles and will only have your duffel bags (your suitcases will travel back to Arusha to be stored and you won't see them again until you get to Amboseli on day 6). So if you brought a lot of stuff, you should talk to your TD about getting it to the school- box, spare duffel, etc. It is a fantastic trip- #1 so far on our Tauck list!!!!

Typical classroom:

IMG_1811r.jpg