Footwear

We are excited to be going on this trip in late August. As we think about packing and what we need for the trip, our thoughts go to shoes. Primarily because they can take up a lot of room and they can add weight. Currently considering a hiking shoe and a pair of Keens. Do we need sneakers? Sandals? Everyday shoes? Other?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• edited April 2016
    We've done the K&T Safari but not Botswana, SA & Z, but I believe, except for the times you be on a "floating game drive," our experience translates. On K&T you spend most of the time away from the hotel/lodge/camp in a safari vehicle (Toyota Landcruiser). Almost all the time, due to close proximity of animals, some dangerous carnivores, you are required to stay in the vehicle. I see no need whatsoever to take hiking shoes/boots. The same goes for sandals. Take decent pair of sneakers and flip flops to wear to the pool. Frankly that is all you'll need on this extremely casual tour. There is no reason to take up space in your duffle with shoes you will hardly wear.

An alternative to, or in addition to, the sneakers is to take some comfortable (slip-off) shoes to wear to dinner and walking around Capetown. I recommend slip-off shoes because while in the safari vehicles on a game drive, there will be many times you will want to stand on your seat to look out from the pop top- most companies/drivers require you take off your shoes to do that. Rather than repeatedly putting on and taking off my shoes, I would often just leave them off during a game drive.

IMG_2332r.jpg

IMG_2007r.jpg

IMG_2748r.jpg

• Thank you AlanS for that information. It is very helpful.
  • edited April 2016
    On the South Africa safaris you are not even allowed to stand up in a safari vehicle, never mind stand on your seat. But Botswana, don't know but I will be taking that tour in September and it does include a walking encounter with the Bushmen. I have seen the kind of terraine that involves if only on the Amazing Race but believe we will be having similar experiences with them. I have now been on three different safari tours with Tauck and I have never taken sneakers. We usually wear Merrell, Keens or Lands End type suede slip on shoes in a brown or khaki color which do get very dirty but look considerably better that way than sneakers. They can also be scrubbed of dirt and washed when we get home. I will probably take two pairs, they are remarkably lightweight and I will probably wear one pair on the plane. I will also take covered toe Keen type sandals, again remarkably lightweight--- and here is a tip for the women-- if you have smallish feet, I am a 7.5, you can buy a child size at a considerable saving. Those are what I will wear when I walk around Cape Town. We will be staying at the One and Only, so if you bother about what you look like in that type of very upmarket hotel you might consider a suitable shoe for there. We stayed at the Cape Grace last last time in Cape Town and I loved the service there.
    In addition, it is going to be very cold in the early mornings and once the sun goes down, so take clothing you can layer for the early morning safaris including warm hat and gloves. I am not someone who gets cold compared to most but it really is very cold there and we huddled under the blankets in the safari vehicles in addition to our layers.
  • British - appreciate your response. Will help us.Thank you