Options

power converter?

I'm curious if we will need to bring power converters and/or adapters on the Mystical Peru trip? Also, should we pack any shorts for this trip at the end of July, or will it be too cool there for shorts?

Comments

• Options
    I haven't been on this trip, but like other trips outside the US, you will not need a power converter. Most modern power modules/chargers for cell phones, laptops, tablets, electric shavers, etc. are dual voltage (it will say on the module.) That means they work on 110 volts (US) and 220 volts (rest of the world.) The only thing you "may"* need is a plug adapter to adapt a standard US plug (two flat prongs or two flat prongs + ground pin) to the receptacle in the country you are visiting. (hair dryers or curling irons designed for use in the US, unless they are special, dual voltage ones, can't be used in Peru without a converter that changes 220 volts to 110 volts)

*That being said, a Google query says that many/most hotels in Peru have either, or both, US outlets or special outlets that will accept both US plugs with flat prongs or round prongs like shown below. I would take an adapter anyway, just in case.

If you do a search on the forums here, you'll see many people take small travel multi-outlet strips as well. That way they only need is one adapter (for the outlet strip) and can charge multiple devices at the same time. Some models have USB charging ports for phones and tablets.

Dual purpose (flat blade and round pin) outlet and a two round pin plug:

peru-electrical-outlet-plug.jpg

Travel power strip with 4 outlets and a short cord that stows neatly:

41qPweKjCgL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Travel power strip with three outlets and two USB power ports:

51RJKQXHd%2BL._AC_UL115_.jpg
  • Options
    Hello Alan,
    That third photo, with USB ports, looks perfect for our K&T trip. I couldn't read the label on the photo. Where did you find this one?
    Thanks,
    Dottie
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Dottie D wrote:
    Hello Alan,
    That third photo, with USB ports, looks perfect for our K&T trip. I couldn't read the label on the photo. Where did you find this one?
    Thanks,
    Dottie

I just did a search on Amazon for "travel multi-outlet power strip". There are tons of them, many less than $20.

Here is the link to the one pictured in my post by Bestten, however it says it is for 110 volts only, so *likely not good outside the US. *I don't know if that is because it has a US plug or there is an issue with the USB or surge protection circuitry.

In any case look for another model, there are plenty to choose from with various numbers of standard outlets, USB power ports, and cord lengths.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file