Peru & Galapagos May 3-17

My husband, Greg and I are on this trip. We want to one to with other who are going. W have done this with other Tauck trips and found knowing names and finding people is a great way to start. Let us know. Bonnie Moore

Comments

• My wife and I are also on this trip. We are arriving in Lima one day early, on May 2. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else on the trip. Rick & Donna Weinstein, Potomac, MD
  • Hi - We're looking forward to this trip, too. My husband and I will arrive in Lima on Monday. Jane and Howard Phillips, from Newtown, CT (and Pittsburgh, PA).
  • Hi -- I'll be on this trip as well. Wondering what you all think --- do I need walking sticks? I called Tauck and they said some wooden sticks were available, tho not enough for all. Not looking to falling down or twisting an ankle. What do you think?
  • edited March 2017
    jar742 wrote:
    Hi -- I'll be on this trip as well. Wondering what you all think --- do I need walking sticks? I called Tauck and they said some wooden sticks were available, tho not enough for all. Not looking to falling down or twisting an ankle. What do you think?

See my post in one of the other recent P&G forum threads Https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=posts&m=36728#post36728n On P&G now, headed to MP tomorrow.
  • My husband Kris and I will be on this trip as well. We arrive one day early. Anxiously watching the news however on the flooding in Peru. And will call Tauck this week to get a report from them. From the news it appears we will not be impacted and we are more than a month away. Linda & Kris - Millburn, NJ
  • edited March 2017
    LBloniarz wrote:
    My husband Kris and I will be on this trip as well. We arrive one day early. Anxiously watching the news however on the flooding in Peru. And will call Tauck this week to get a report from them. From the news it appears we will not be impacted and we are more than a month away. Linda & Kris - Millburn, NJ

Don't bother calling Tauck. We are on tour now (last day in Peru- head for Guayaquil zero dark thirty tomorrow morning). While the flooding and mudslides have affected areas of western Peru including suburbs of Lima it is mainly in the north and makes for exciting news and YouTube videos, we saw absolutely no signs of it anywhere. Lima was as dry as a bone. There was absolutely impact!! El Niño/La Niña appears to do the same thing each year lately- some worse than others.

By the way, as far as weather- don't believe anything from WeatherUndergroud or others sources, they were rarely correct. It rained during the evening entertainment at Sol Y Luna, over night at Machu Picchu, and late afternoon here in Cusco today, but generally we just couldn't relay on forecasts.

We had good weather at MP the first afternoon, but the next morning it was foggy and you couldn't even see the complex from the "watchman's hut" (primo spot for personal, group, and magazine prototypical MP photos). I did the early (5:45) get-up, waited at the gate with about 75-100 teens and millenials to enter at 6:00. Once I got inside I scoped everything out from above the Watchman's Hut which I could hardly see due to fog, so I decided to head up the INCA trail to the Sun Gate- 1 to 1.5 hr tough hike up an uneven, rocky trail with MANY steps and about a 1000' elevation change (not a hike for faint of heart) and about a 45 min.+ hike down. Then I lingered some more, waiting for a shot. Mist/fog thinned just enough at times to reveal the sections of the ruins. It was brighter, but the sun had not broken through so no "mystical" or "ethereal" shots. I met some of our group who had a later start and joined our guide for a walk to see the INCA bridge. I stayed behind and hung out near the watchman's hut a bit longer, before heading back to the Sanctuary Lodge for a quick shower and prepared to ride the bus back down to Aguas Calientes.
  • Hi, my wife Holly & I (Don) will be on this tour. We're also arriving a day early (evening May 1).
    Has anyone scoped out any interesting tour or sites to see in Lima on May 2 ?

We have a free day on May 2 before our Tauck tour begins and want to book a local tour which covers some of the Lima highights not seen by Tauck.
    I was wondering how much time, if any, is available to see the Plaza de Armas (Mayor)?
    The Day 2 (May 3) itinerary says we will visit the San Pedro Church followed by a dinner at Casa Aliaga. Both locations are on opposite sides of the Plaza. Will we be walking/sightseeing thru the Plaza or zipped by bus around this highlight of Lima?

Don & Holly - Georgetown (near Toronto) Ontario Canada

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file