Cape Cod, The Islands and Newport June 25, 2016

Will someone please give me a personal review of what you experience on this tour. I am so excited and ready to have a ball. I was also wondering how the whale viewing is in June, and information.

Comments

• VJAHearn wrote:
    Will someone please give me a personal review of what you experience on this tour. I am so excited and ready to have a ball. I was also wondering how the whale viewing is in June, and information.

I'll be interested as well. We are looking at doing this one back-to-back with the Canadian Maritimes.
  • VJAHearn wrote:
    Whales are from April-October, so you should see some in June.
  • Haven't been on this tour, but live in the area (Chatham).
    It looks like Tauck has done a great job of laying this out for you. Two things you should especially NOT miss: (1) the whale watching at P-town -- the Cape's land mass forces a large number of these animals into a small area -- and (2) the tour of the Breakers in Newport -- the wealth poured into these houses was simply unbelievable.
    Two small notes: If you like shopping, Chatham's Main Street is a mecca. And the island towns are quite walkable.

If you like eating, this is the place to be for seafood. Lobster rolls are almost a staple of the diet here, and -- since all the restaurants compete to have the best one -- you're unlikely to be disappointed no matter where you get yours. Great for lunch. In Chatham, the Captain's Table is good -- especially if the weather's nice and you can sit out under the umbrellas. Captain's Table is just West of the Eldridge Public Library on Main Street. P-town has many good restaurants, too. The only one we've been to recently (two times in two years) is Pepe's (371 Commercial Street; maybe four blocks East of the main wharf area). We've really enjoyed their deck overlooking the harbor area. (And, in spite of the name, it isn't Mexican.)

If you haven't been to Boston before, I would strongly suggest you add two, three, or maybe even four days to see the place. Do Not get a car! The streets are a narrow maze, the traffic is awful, and parking is impossible (and impossibly expensive.) Take the subway -- the MBTA -- instead; It's cheap, fast and ubiquitous. But there's Quincy Market, the Freedom Trail and the North End (Old North Church and Paul Revere's House, et al). You can take an MBTA ferry across to the Charlestown Navy Shipyard and tour the USS Constitution -- a.k.a., "Old Ironsides". Bunker Hill is over here, too. The Red Line North can take you out to Harvard Square (and Hahvahd Yahd). MIT is at the Kendall Sq. station, but less convenient to walk to. And if you take the Red Line south, you can visit John F. Kennedy's Presidential Library and -- further south on the same line -- Adams National Park, the homes of John & Abigail Adams and John Quincy Adams. And the town is fairly crawling with some of the country's finest museums. The only thing you might need a car for would be if you wanted to visit Minute Man National Park in Concord (the "rude bridge" and "the shot heard 'round the world" and all that). Also, Salem with its House of Seven Gables and its witch trials, might be easier by car, as would be Gloucester & Marblehead. And if you're interested in industrial history, the restored textile mills at Lowell would need a car, too.

Obviously, the problem here is that there's too much to do! Good Luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file