Options

Giraffes

My wife and I would like to post a warning about the danger of getting too close to Giraffes.
Two couples have been attacked in the Victoria Falls park by Giraffes in the past 6 months.
My wife and I were air lifted to Johannesburg last October and spent 3 weeks in the hospital there.
Another American couple were attacked this year and evacuated by the same air ambulance.
We were returning to our room from the pool in our bathing suits and have no clue what caused the animal
to attack. So be warned and keep your insurance up to date!

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Were you on the Tauck tour? I will be going on the tour in September. Was Tauck helpful with the situation? I have certainly seen how giraffes use their necks to fight each other on nature programs. Hope you are fully recovered!
  • Options
    Truck was very helpful but the safari was moving the next day so we had a difficult 30 hours
    in Zambia and finally had to open the airport ourselves to get an evac jet in.
    We are doing well. My wife was stomped on and had 45 stitches. I was butted into a tree
    and pretty banged up trying to fend him off. Other guests helped by throwing rocks and screaming.
    Someone had a camera but we have never seen any pictures. They weren't on our Tauck tour.
    The weather was great in October but the falls were very small. Safe travels British from So.Cal.USA
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    FOR THE MODERATOR

In view of the giraffe attack incident, are there extra armed security personnel around the grounds of this hotel?
    There were a couple of incidents I am aware of in one of our tented camps in Tanzania, one being an elephant in the outdoor dining/bar area and another of I presume a guard being confronted by an animal outside our tent at night, lots of shouting and scuffling. We always hear of other encounters, but this incident is extra alarming as it appears to be the same animal.
    Glad to hear your update video guy.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    FOR THE MODERATOR

In view of the giraffe attack incident, are there extra armed security personnel around the grounds of this hotel?
    There were a couple of incidents I am aware of in one of our tented camps in Tanzania, one being an elephant in the outdoor dining/bar area and another of I presume a guard being confronted by an animal outside our tent at night, lots of shouting and scuffling. We always hear of other encounters, but this incident is extra alarming as it appears to be the same animal.

Was there a reply from Tauck on this?
    I can understand not provoking any wild animals, but merely walking from your pool to your room? Wow, that's a bit scary!

I hope everyone heals nicely and quickly!
    Felicia
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If I remember correctly, someone posted (somewhere?) about a traveler being "bothered"(??) by a zebra, there may have been a video. Again, I'm hazy about the details, but the zebra (a few of them had been grazing by pool-side) may have tried to nip her on the butt. I don't recall where- Royal Livingstone?

I did a little digging- I haven't found the post, but did find photos taken by the pool at the Royal Livingstone. (no Photoshop here!) I want to go!!!!!

Royal-Livingstone-Hotel-pictures-zebras-best-hotel-in-Victoria-Falls.jpg

f89e33557ec43c696be4c05d7dd34cc7.jpg
  • Options
    There was obviously no reply from Tauck, but the first 'Giraffe incident' I found on line that was before this Tauck people incident was much more serious, a woman was severely injured, broken ribs and punctured lung if I remember correctly plus being thrown twelve feet in the air and landing into a thorn bush. If you note the male giraffe horns are short but designed as a fighting weapon. I am sure if a I google 'fighting giraffe' the clip will also be found on line from the documentary I saw a while ago
  • Options
    I want to go too, Alan. Good thing I'm not an American couple.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    British wrote:
    FOR THE MODERATOR

Hello Everyone,

I know that you have all been waiting to hear from Tauck regarding this situation and apologies for it taking so long to respond, just wanted to make sure we had all the right information and that we followed up the team at The Royal Livingstone.

Regarding the incident with Videoguy and his wife, the Royal Livingstone worked with the Zambian Wildlife Authority to relocate the giraffe and stepped up security. Additionally, upon check-in, our Tauck Directors reiterate the warnings regarding wildlife. Such making sure to give the animals a wide berth and additional protocol if there's an animal on the grounds. There was some speculation that the bull giraffe involved in the altercation may have been in mating mode which can make them much more easily agitated and protective of their personal territory.

Regarding all of our safari trips, there's always precautions taken by camp/hotel/lodge staff to make sure guests and animals are safe. As you all know the safety and security of our guests is top priority.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

P.S. If ever any of you have a question or concern, regarding the Travel Forums please feel free to email esupport@tauck.com

• Options
    Thank you Emily, good to hear that the hotel has responded to concerns. We arrive there two days early, but I hope the tour director leaves us some notes while we await the start of the tour.