Options

Meal reviews

I would love to read more reviews on the meals provided on this tour. When we think/talk about some special place/event food is always at the forefront. That is, our experience is highly affected by the quality of the food.
TIA (Thanks in advance for your replies).

Comments

• Options
    Are you planning on taking this trip? All the food in Italy was great, whether included or not. This is a great trip. One of my favorite.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    crackers54 wrote:
    Are you planning on taking this trip? All the food in Italy was great, whether included or not. This is a great trip. One of my favorite.

Of course there was the comment from a few years ago essentially complaining about all the "Italian food" on the tour. Duh! Ya think they serve (fantastic) Italian food in Italy?!?! : ) What is great, just like in the US where you have regional variations, the same is true of Italy. Neapolitan cooking is different than Tuscan and both are different than Venetian.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yes, crackers54,we are going next summer.

It is easy to find wonderful things said about the tours and places visited, but so few comments about the meals. That strikes me odd, because food is a very important part of the experience.

The few comments I found, buried within an off topic post, were about half negative. I understand people have different experiences, but where are all the raves about the food?

Perhaps it's because I am of Italian decent and food is more important to me than others.

If you ever, as a child, were sent to the the local Italian bakery to get some loaves of bread and came back with the ends eaten off, then you probably can relate.
  • Options
    We did this tour about 10 years ago and have been back to Italy 7 times since then. The food is AWESOME, both on the tour and on your own.

Pizza is great because the recipe is government controlled. They cannot call it authentic pizza unless it is made the way the government says it should be. The Gelato is fantastic.

You all need to experience the different tastes from each region in Italy. Truck does one fantastic job doing this. Have fun, enjoy the food and the people and of course the wonderful sights that you will see.

I am trying to talk my wife into doing Classic Italy again. However, we booked the Budapest to Amsterdam River cruise for July 16, and she wants to do Sicily in 2017. Maybe we will do it again.
  • Options
    Guess I owe a follow-up.

All of the breakfast buffets were Good to Very Good. Eggs and bacon/ham at every breakfast; and plenty of other yummy things to eat, from fruit, to rolls, to pie/pastry, etc. There was always a huge selection.

I tended to eat a big breakfast and only wanted one more meal for the day. The days we had B, L and D, were a bit much.

For the lunches and dinners provided, I found the pasta courses were far better than the meat courses. In hind sight, I personally would have preferred to have had two pasta courses and no meat course. Don't get me wrong, I love a good steak, what was served wasn't that at all.

What was Very Good: the pasta everywhere except the buffet in Venice. Don't know what happened, because the lasagna the next evening was Very Good. Most notable were the cannelloni in Ravello and the ravioli in Torgiano.

Most notably Fair to Poor were the meat course in Torgiano and Venice.

I'd recommend, enjoy a big breakfast, have pizza and/or gelato for a snack/small meal, and double up on the pasta.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file