Options

vaccinations

The CDC suggests Hep A, B and Typhoid vaccinations for the area to be visited. Did anyone do so?

Comments

• Options
    Even if you are not traveling outside of the US, it is certainly adviseable to have Hep A Amd B under your belt and typhoid for this particular journey, you should speak to a travel doctor and tell them your medical history at least several months before your journey. Hep B for example is given over quite a long time frame over a course of 3 injections. Don't rely on strangers here, like me for giving out medical advise, we don't know you. The CDC is of course a better start to get you thinking in the right direction. I already had all these vaccinations for my Galapagos tour, so did not require anything else apart from Malaria meds.
  • Options
    We have had all recommended shots for this trip and our trips to Southeast Asia, Africa and India, including Yellow Fever, even though we could opt out. We have had no side effects, and the comfort of knowing that we were protected was priceless. I see no reason why anyone, except for personal medical reasons, would not get preventative vaccinations. We have Kaiser and we notify their travel clinic about two months out. They prescribe vaccinations and medications ( going so far, on some trips, as calling and asking for a day-by-day itinerary). We follow their recommendations religiously. British gave you good advice. Follow it.
  • Options
    I agree with the previous posters about erring on the side of caution. We have done quite a bit of exotic travel in the last few years and rather than deal with it incrementally, we've gotten the full range of H A/B, Typhoid (which needs boosters at intervals), and Yellow Fever. For SE Asia and Africa, we took malaria pills with no side effects (though some will have them). For Peru and the Galapagos, there is little or no threat of malaria (closest are areas outside of Guayaquil were we'll overnight twice), so we won't be taking them on this trip.

We get our advice and meds from US military health professionals who are very knowledgeable about foreign travel.

Don't forget that unique to this trip is altitude. While we've spent multiple days at the 6000-7000 foot level and hours at 14k (Pikes Peak) with no ill effects, it was suggested (so we will) that we take altitude meds starting a couple days before Cuzco and Machu Picchu. There is, according to our doctor, usually no downside other than the need to take in more liquids.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Ditto on all of the above. As far as altitude- something not often known or realized is that the elevation in Cuzco, where you spend a few days, is actually higher than at Machu Picchu!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yup, Cuzco is at 11,200 feet whereas Machu Pichu is only about 8000 feet.

Two nights in Cuzco, one at Machu Pichu, plus one in El Valle Sagrado at about 9500 feet.

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for their reply. I was pretty sure that we should get the shots. I am aware that some of the vaccinations start about 6 months ahead of the trip. Also my pulmonologist is aware of my travel plans and will prescribe altitude meds as a precaution.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file