Luggage

I will be traveling on the Sept 23 trip. Are we allowed a backpack in addition to the duffel bag? If so, does the 44# weight limit refer to the duffel only or does it refer to the two combined?
Also has anyone seen travelers using some sort of carrier with wheels for the duffel? My husband and I decided after our Australia/New Zealand trip that we would never use a duffel again because we were both exhausted and uncomfortable after going through immigration and customs. On this trip, I am traveling without anyone to help me lug it around so was hoping for some type of fold up carrier that is of little weight.

Comments

• Tauck does all the carrying of your duffel bag. You can use a suitcase with wheels to go to Africa, then that is left behind when you do the 'duffel' part of the tour and Tauck does all the carrying of that. Your suitcase will meet up with you in Cape Town.
  • edited August 2016
    Yes, Tauck does all the schlepping of the bags- to and from rooms, Safari vehicles, on-tour hotels, and flights. If you don't want to mess with a duffel at home/in airports, just pack it empty in your suitcase then transfer clothes to it when the time comes. Tauck wants all the duffels to look the same.
  • British...Can you tell me when the duffel bag part of the trip begins? Can I use clothing from my suitcase while at Victoria Falls and then repack them in the suitcase before it is sent on to Cape Town? Also, is the suitcase part of the trip limited to 44 lbs. or the usual 50 Lbs. that is customary with international flights? Are we allowed a backpack in addition to the duffel bag? I realize this is lots of questions but I would appreciate all the info I can get related to packing.
  • edited August 2016
    Have you paid your final bill and received your little green spiral booklet, all details are in there. It does say the maximum weight is 44 lbs. for your checked bag. i have never had a problem keeping below that weight. One of the key things is to start with a very light suitcase.
    You start the tour at Victoria Falls, so of course you have your suitcase with you and you can do whatever you want until you are asked to repack for your duffel part of the tour--- can't look when that is, still in Bed! I think there is a weight restriction on the backpack, but can't look for that either. By the way, we have used the Tauck Duffels on at least four of their tours, you can put the kitchen sink in there too, they hold so much.
  • Do people carry backpacks on the jeep and the day tours?
  • Yes. There is room on the game drives and the day tours.
  • edited August 2016
    Do people carry backpacks on the jeep and the day tours?
    Ah, it depends what you mean by backpack. I have taken three different Tauck safaris. We do not take our traveling backpack on the jeeps, we both have a 'fold into itself' nylon type 'backpack' It weighs nothing and takes up no room, that is what we put our cameras, extra layer and other sundries in for the rides. Our last safari in 2014, we were asked to take all our valuables in the jeep every day, but that was after a couple of terrorism incidents in the country. We had passports, tickets and iPads and phones and so on with us as well, but those nylon bags took the lot and did not compromise the inside space of the safari vehicle. Our tour director was a very experienced Tauck employee, so we guessed that head office had asked we do that so we could make a quick escape to the airport if there was an incident.
    For this tour, we will take our nylon bags and they wil be great for the walking parts. My bag can even be carried several ways as it has extra straps. Believe it or not I found it at a garden center gift store on my travels and I love it.
  • I have a daypack which holds water bottle, change of clothes, etc. It's not a full backpack, but a bit more substantial than just a nylon carrier. Wondering if that is overkill for this type of trip. I truly don't know what to expect.
  • Sounds as if your daypack will be fine.
  • edited August 2016
    I have a daypack which holds water bottle, change of clothes, etc. It's not a full backpack, but a bit more substantial than just a nylon carrier. Wondering if that is overkill for this type of trip. I truly don't know what to expect.

grandinroad, your bag sounds fine to me, also.

I used a camera backpack for Tanzania in 2014 and it was great for my needs - a bit larger than some others, but I was more than comfortable carrying it, etc. I plan to use the same one for this trip in September.

Those lightweight, nylon, fold-to-nothing day packs are great; we use them often! However, camera gear needs a bit more protection/padding than those offer.

Happy Trails!

British - thinking you may have needed a quick exit due to terrorism must have been a little unnerving, probably not for you, but at least for some of the travelers! ;-)

grandinroad... any relation to the catalog?
  • Does anyone know the weight restriction forthe chucked luggage on South Afrivan Air. Is it the usual 50 lb. or are we restricted to 44 lb here also?
  • edited August 2016
    I just read the tour page, it is all there. It doesn't really matter what South Africa Air allows because your internal flights are restricted to 44 lbs for checked bag and 15lbs for carry on bag. So that is why you have to adhere to. And of course you will have just a duffel and carry on bag for some of the tour.
    I just noticed you already asked this question. It is in the tour page information if you do not believe me, or quicker still, call Tauck.