best day trip from Milan not included already on the tour

My husband and I are going two days earlier to Milan before our tauck tour start of northern italy begins . any suggestions for a 1 day tour/excursion from Milan since we would have the whole day before free. i see they had the swiss alps or portofino. we have already been to cinque terre villages. thanks any info is helpful

Comments

• You don't say if you have been to Milan before. I flew in a day early and enjoyed walking around the city. You need to do the inside of duomo on your own, as well as, the duomo roof. And getting out of central tourist area was great while exploring churches.
  • hi, no i have not been in milan before. we are going two
    days before our tour begins. thanks for the info on the duomo.
  • I was one of 1st in Duomo, bought tickets at desk of hotel for both the duomo and roof. Neither is included in tour.
  • I recommend seeing Da Vinci's "Last Supper" at the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie. VERY popular so you should book tickets on line or book a tour with Viator or such. Not sure you can get tickets the same day.
  • I agree with Crackers54. Do the inside and roof of the cathedral. I wasn't the first but may 10th. Go early. By the time I came down from the roof there was a big line. The Last Supper is included on the tour. If you have the same tour director, Tina, as I did (I did the first of this year in April), there will be a list of suggested places to see. I also went to the Villa Necchi Campiglio which is about 20 mins from the hotel. I thought that was well worth the visit. Also it has a very nice café. You must go in on a guided tour. I didn't know that in advance, but I bought my English tour ticket and had lunch. All in all I do not think you need to go out of town.
  • Yeah duomo is a nice place for the first time visitor. I also had good time there about a year ago.
  • edited September 2016
    Like Florence, there is more to see than time allows.

As a starter, you might want to go to the Rick Steves' website at this link: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show or to go directly to the episode about Milan and the local area follow this link: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show/milan-and-lake-como to get some ideas. It is available to stream for free. I just watched it a few weeks ago, and if I remember, he visited a couple of the large villas outside of town.

If you are into art there are a number of museums at this link- http://www.milanmuseumguide.com/ If you are into opera, the famous LaScala is in Milan and don't forget the Leonardo Davinci Museum of Science and Technology and other museums at this link- http://www.aboutmilan.com/museums-in-Milan.html
  • thank you all very much
    for the great information.
  • There is a most interesting medieval walled HillTown about 45 minutes from Milan. Bergamo. You can rail and will arrive in the new town area. You take the funicular up to the Ole Town area. Fascinating, especially if you have never been to a walled city.
    Have lunch, walk around and visit the ruins under the city.
  • Hi, check out the website for viator.com, they do full day & half day tours from many different cities. We used them last year when we came in for our Tauck tour of Italy a day early. You can book private, semi private or coach tours. We booked a private 1/2 day tour of Ostia Antica just outside Rome. We had door to door service to/from our hotel & the guide was terrific. We were quite impressed with the amount of options available as well. They are worth looking into. Enjoy your trip!
  • thank you.
  • SBB wrote:
    There is a most interesting medieval walled HillTown about 45 minutes from Milan. Bergamo. You can rail and will arrive in the new town area. You take the funicular up to the Ole Town area. Fascinating, especially if you have never been to a walled city.
    Have lunch, walk around and visit the ruins under the city.

Bergamo is included on the tour and you have a bit of free time there to wonder around the tour which does the highlights of the town

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file