Options

Tanzania: S-Z vs. K&T

I was wondering if anyone has been on both trips -- Tanzania (S-Z) and K&T. I am trying to decide between these trips for my first visit to Africa, going mid-July 2017. For those who have done both, or have an opinion, which would be the better trip? I want a fun trip with activity. Not looking for lounging by the pool or excessive downtime. Animals of course are tops on the list. While money is not especially a driving factor, is the Kenya tour that much more worthwhile to justify the higher cost? What are the pros and cons of doing one trip vs the other? I realize I can't go wrong on either trip, but would appreciate an opinion on the two trips. Thanks for anything you can provide to get me going in the right direction!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Have been on four Tauck safaris. Most important, book soon or there will be nothing left. For value for money I would chose Tanzania although I personally do not need to go to Zanzibar again. The K and T has changed a lot since I went. I do not like the idea of the extra down time that tour now has.The animals are such a small part of it for us, we love the landscape and the people. You will get very little activity on either safari, you will be sitting in a bumpy truck looking at dangerous animals. Your only opportunity you get for 'activity' would be in the downtime you say you do not need.
    You will get the most out of any safari tour if you do lots of research on the animals, their behaviors and habitat and check our lots of documentaries about Africa before you go.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The down-time (and on-your-own activities) on K&T at Mount Kenya Safari Club has been reduced for 2017- one less day there and one more day in the Masai Mara. Frankly I was ready for a break by that time, but would also have liked an additional day in the Mara.

TZ-Zanzabar has changed for 2017 also- it is two days shorter (10 vs 12)- it no longer spends two nights in Tarangire. You do a drive-through of Lake Manyara Park on the way to Ngorongoro, just like the first part of K&T. But, unlike K&T where you just stay in the central Serengeti, the TZ-Zanzibar tour spends two nights at a tented camp in the western Serengeti, right in the heart of the great migration corridor, so if you decide on this trip take a look the migration timing.

There is one big difference as far as game drives- in TZ/Serengeti, the safari vehicles must stay on established roads (mud trails), while in the Mara in Kenya vehicles are permitted to leave the established roads/trails which makes it easier to get up close and personal with some of the wildlife.

On another point- on the TZ-Zanzibar tour you don't have to fly out of Nairobi which is not the best place, of course, you do fly out of Dar Es Salaam which isn't much better.

If you don't mind kids, you might want to look into the Tanzania; Grand Family Safari itinerary.

p.s. I have not been on the TZ-Zanzibar trip.
  • Options
    gatorjulie,

We are two gals, booked on the July 3 T-Z trip. $$$ was a factor for us, but we are very happy with our decision for six days on safari in multiple locations in tanzania, plus two nights down time in zanzibar on the beautiful coast. Looking forward to our first trip! You will love whatever you decide.

Carol