Options

reading list

Is the reading list for Paradors of Northern Spain the same as the one for Spain and Portugal? We are doing back-to-back and not too early to start reading.

Comments

• Options
    If you look in the bottom left hand corner of the page for each tour, you will see a link that says 'Suggested Reading' This takes you to Longitude books and a list of books for the tour, some say Essential, some say Additional reading. You can easily compare both lists. I usually research each of the books and purchase a few only because some suggested books in the past for some tours I have personally found are not to my taste or far too detailed for the information I think I need for the country I am going to. I have also found that the tour director almost always provides an annotated map for you to keep and probably gives you as much history and culture as you probably want or need. I am saying this because in the past, we have found that some people on the bus are very rude and will talk to each other through the tour guide's talks, very annoying to us!
  • Options
    Is the reading list for Paradors of Northern Spain the same as the one for Spain and Portugal? We are doing back-to-back and not too early to start reading.

I looked and the reading lists are not the same. I did the Paradors last year and did not read anything prior to going as I usually do. Since I returned, I read a few books about the Camino Santiago. Two are mentioned on the Paradors reading list, but the third is called The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett. I knew little about the pilgrims who walked the Camino so I wanted to find out more after I returned. These books were all written by people who experienced it. I would also recommend seeing the movie The Way with Martin Sheen.

This tour was not on a list of ones that I had originally planned to take, but I found it fascinating and it has become one of my favorites.
  • Options
    I've read some of the books on the Longitude list plus others before our trips. Maybe we need a whole thread about which ones people liked for a particular tour and why.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    What a great idea, Claudia! We could all benefit from books past travelers have found useful and enlightening for a particular tour! I have found that the Tour Director frequently suggests some books (most times not on the Longitude list) during the tour which I read once I return home. I have found their suggestions to be spot-on 99% of the time! Some I wish I had read prior to a trip (The Enchantress of Florence-India) and others so glad I did not read before the trip ( A Fine Balance -India).
    I agree with British that the TD and local guides give so much info during the trip, that most informational books interest me less than fiction which I feel gives a flavor of the country/area. Sometimes I buy the DK Eyewitness books and other times I check them out of the library to research beforehand. They are wonderful guides but are sooo heavy to carry around!
    And, British, I agree about the rude folks who chatter away during these talks! As a retired high school teacher, I have not lost "The Look" which can be quite effective in getting the message across in a sort of passive aggressive way!!
    And, back to the original poster's question about reading for The Paradors of Northern Spain...I do not see anything on the list that would be a must. Our TD did recommend the film My Way, and I think Kathy18's point about wanting to learn more about the pilgrims journeying to Santiago de Compostela is well taken. Also, The Sun Also Rises will enhance your visit to Pamploma. There have been a number of TV specials (PBS, I think) about the running of the bulls which will make your walk through the streets more meaningful.

• Options
    Concur that the info provided by the TD's and the local guides are great. Art galleries are a whole different place with a guide telling you things you'd never know or notice.

I'll start a new thread under General Topics on reading. I hope to see others suggestions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file