luggage and duffel bag questions - help

I have done a lot of research on tips for traveling on the tanzania serengeti/zanzibar tour i will be taking in july this year.

Have lost some of the info I saved. Can any of you experienced travelers advise me again about luggage on this trip.

*if we take a checked piece of luggage and pack our duffel inside, we switch to the duffel upon arrival in Arusha? Is that correct?

*upon leaving Arusha in safari jeep on Day 1 of tour, does the luggage proceed without us, waiting for us in zanzibar?

*are we allowed ANY other travel bags beside Duffel on the safari? If we have a small tote bag, will they transfer that along with duffel?

Alan, or British, if you see my question, I can't find the pictures that Alan posted at one time showing employees loading the duffel bags, and a picture of the plane being taken within Africa. Can you point me to the forum for those pictures...I have looked and looked, help...

Carol

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Carol,

Just do a search in "all fourms"* for "duffel" ,"duffle" * many of the posts are in multiple forums, so you may just want to do separate searches of just the K&T and T-Z forums.

Here is the link to my post with the photos of the duffels taken at Arusha airport.

You can take a small day bag in the safari vehicles and on-tour flights for things like binoculars, kleenex, sunscreen, etc., etc. (you will carry it)

British will hopefully weigh in too, but here is an answer from 2015:

"#4 Posted by Blue Bonnet: Sunday, July 05, 2015 12:46:37 PM

I just did the Serengeti to Zanzibar tour in June. We kept all of our luggage for the first 5 days. Then when checking out of the lodge at the Ngorongoro Crater we had to part with our big suitcases and go on with just the duffels (which are really pretty roomy, so it wasn't a big hardship) until we got to Zanzibar. I mostly left behind my dirty clothes and the stuff I used on the airplane."
  • thanks Alan, I don't know why I couldn't find those pics again....really appreciate it!
  • edited February 2017
    Crikey, I am forgetting the finer details of this tour..... you put the provided duffel unopened in its little travel ' pouch' into your suitcase and then when Tauck say you just have the duffel, which if I remember correctly is on leaving Arusha, you throw anything you don't want into the suitcase and it meets you at the designated hotel Tauck mentions in their booklet, which I recall is Zanzibar. Don't forget, the bonus on this Safari tour is that you get your laundry done either very cheaply or free along the way, that really helps.
    Yes, you are allowed a hand carry, small, I use a backpack. I also have a nylon day duffel that packs up very small and fits into my backpack. N sweat, it all works well on this trip, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!u
  • thank you British, we are very excited about the trip!