Options

BRITISH MONEY

Visitors to England with some money from past trips in their pockets should be aware that the five pound note was withdrawn this past week to make way for a new design. You may be able to change your old notes at a bank but I am not sure for how long.

Comments

• Options
    Asked our daughter who lives in England and she sent this from the Bank of England.

"Paper 5 pound notes have been withdrawn as of May 5, 2017. Retailers, banks and Post Offices no longer have to accept them. They may choose to accept them at their own discretion. All Bank of England notes retain their face value for all time. These notes can be exchanged with the Bank of England in London by post or in person."

Worry not however use the old ones or exchange them at your earliest convenience. The new notes feel like very thin plastic.
  • Options
    Thanks, British for the heads up and thanks, AshvEd for the additional information. Very interesting. Years ago I was in London and there was a Indian gentlemen in the airport who was having trouble because someone had sold him withdrawn currency for his trip. Nice to know that the Bank of England will continue to redeem the notes. Rather than looking at redeeming your notes as a inconvenience, I would look at it as an opportunity to visit "the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file