Air Connections from IAD to Osaka

We travel next April, 2018, but have already started airline search for routes. The obvious seems to be from DC to Tokyo but getting from Tokyo to Osaka involves changing airports or taking the fast train. Air Canada has a connection to Osaka via Toronto. Biggest issue is the evening arrival time that eliminates the welcome reception and dinner or requires that we get into Osaka a day early.

Less obvious is IAD to Frankfurt and then connect for flight to Osaka. More travel time and cost but arrives in Osaka early morning.

Looking for suggestions, comments or successful routing.

Dave and Debbie

Comments

• Recommend you arrive at least a day early, preferably two, to recover from the long flight. Japan is safe and there is plenty to see just walking around Osaka.
  • another alternative is IAD to Tokyo (either NRT or HND) , then a flight from there to Osaka (which will be a short flight).

Best to get there a day early, helps with jet lag, also you are protected in case there is a problem wit the flight
  • edited May 2017
    My sister and her husband are traveling to Osaka from Dulles by way of LAX using their American Airlines points (DC to LAX on AA) and then to Osaka on Japan Air. Their luggage is able to be checked through in Dulles. I am meeting them in Osaka coming from NYC/JFK (Asiana Air with a change of plane in Seoul) using my United Airline points. We are arriving early- on April 19th to acclimate and do some pre-trip touring.
    Nancy
  • Completely agree with getting there at least a day early, two is even better. You do NOT want to miss the welcome dinner and performance. Westerners do not easily get to see a Geiko (Geisha) performance, so this is a very special evening. Couldn't you get your Air Canada flight a day earlier to help with the jet lag and get to enjoy the welcome dinner? In my opinion, starting your trip by having to change airports in Tokyo and then catching the bullet train after a long flight is not the best way to begin this arduous trip.
  • Just back from a great trip to Tanzania on KLM via Amsterdam.
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    We have, thru Tauck, a United flight to Osaka that works.
    See you at the welcome dinner.
    Dave and Debbie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file