reaction to typhoid injection?

I was advised to get a typhoid injection for Victoria Falls - Can anyone tell me if they had a reaction to this? We are traveling on a regular basis and I am trying to figure out when to get this. I already have the malaria pills and getting the Hep A tomorrow - my doctor said not to bother with Hep B

Comments

• Never had a reaction to Typhoid vaccination. Some Drs, say Hep B is not necessary unless you plan on having 'relations' with the locals or sharing needles but they never factor in you may end up in a local hospital or clinic where iti is potentially much easier to acquire Hep B. We both had Hep B vaccinations. Me many years ago for my job and my husband when he started to travel. It's three injections spread out of several months. Babies are given the series of Hep B injections in the US so I assume it's thought worth it.
  • We got the HEP B, better safe than sorry. Typhoid reaction was just minor soreness at site of injection.
  • Thanks - have appt for typhoid and good info on Hep B - I appreciate it. Happy Traveling everyone
  • I had no reaction at all to typhoid injection.
  • Hopefully you wouldn't have a reaction to the typhoid injection since it is a killed vaccine. Some people, however, (not me) do have some reaction to the typhoid pills (live weakened vaccine), which you have to keep refrigerated and take every other day over several days. My daughter had severe stomach cramps with the pills. The advantage of the pills is that the immunization lasts for 5 years vs. the injection, which only lasts for 2 years. In both cases, you should complete the vaccine at least 2 weeks prior to travel in order for it to be effective on your trip.