Arriving a day early for 09/19 tour - recommendations for Ennis?

We just received our documentation for The Best of Ireland 9/19/17 tour and are getting so excited! We will arrive in Ennis a day early and would like some recommendations of sites to see that are not on the tour. I have heard of the Ennis Friary and the Quin Abbey. Can anyone comment on these attractions? What about places to eat? Looking forward to meeting everyone in our group!

Comments

• edited September 2017
    We arrived in late afternoon the day before the trip was to start at 1pm, after a few busy days in London. So we just took some time to walk around the cute town and sleep in the next morning. But, I will say we really enjoyed the hotel restaurant! Be sure to get your Guinness on tap there in the pub and listen to Irish music to start off the trip right! Have a marvelous time--we sure did!
  • edited September 2017
    There are a number of recommendations in the older threads for this tour. The Friary, which is a few blocks up McConnell Street is one. I don't know about the Quin Abbey. Another option is to arrange for a car with the concierge (it may be the airport driver) to take you to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park in nearby Bunratty. Unless there is a cancellation, you probably won't be able to get tickets to the medievel banquet at the castle (you can read about this on the Bunratty Castle website), but you can tour the castle and the adjacent folk park. We toured both and since we booked early, also attended the banquet- there are two seatings per night- simple but decent food, fun and entertainment was great- singers, minstrels, harpist, etc. Ennis is an interesting little town to walk through and small enough to see most of it in a fairly short amount of time.
  • We just got back from that trip on August 25 and arrived early in Ennis. I like the idea of going to see Bunratty Castle and the Folk Park. I wish we had the time to have done that. What we did was have dinner on arrival night in the hotel at their Town Hall Restaurant, they have a prix fix dinner and the food was very good. I would suggest emailing the hotel for reservations. After dinner, sat in the hotel pub for a bit and listened to the Irish Music.
    The next morning we went to the Friary (mostly old ruins) and also to the Clare Museum, both within an easy walk of hotel. We found the museum to be eclectic, informative and interesting. Our tour started at 1 PM with a trip to Cliffs of Moher.
  • Thanks so much for the responses!
  • Roxann, my wife and I are on the same tour with you and will arrive the day earlier. Our flight doesn't get in until about 4 pm so we won't have more time other than to get checked in and look for dinner.

Thanks to others for their tips for sight seeing and recommending the hotel dining and pub. We are looking forward to a great two weeks in Ireland.

Dave and Kay Williams
  • Leaving for Ennis tomorrow ourselves if hurricane Jose doesn't jam up the flights. Just got done with Irma and am still sweating Maria but after going through Irma , we need a big dose of R&R. We heard that the pub at the Old Ground Hotel,has really good food and great atmosphere and music. Sounds like a great place to try some Bushmill whiskey and some Irish tunes. Glad we are coming in a day early.
  • edited September 2017
    BudRae17 wrote:
    Leaving for Ennis tomorrow ourselves if hurricane Jose doesn't jam up the flights. Just got done with Irma and am still sweating Maria but after going through Irma , we need a big dose of R&R. We heard that the pub at the Old Ground Hotel,has really good food and great atmosphere and music. Sounds like a great place to try some Bushmill whiskey and some Irish tunes. Glad we are coming in a day early.

We had lunch at the Old Ground and frankly were unimpressed. It was nothing special and the service a bit lacking, and we aren't typically picky on both accounts. For pub food, another place to investigate, just up O'Connell Street, is Brogan's. It was the highest rated pub in Ennis at one time- for its food, service, atmosphere, friendliness and local music. This longtime family owned business changed hands and was renovated a few years ago, though it still gets good reviews.

http://www.brogansbarandrestaurant.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file