Any suggestions on places to visit in Budapest following the cruise?

Hi again,

I booked a few extra days at the Boscolo as part of Tauck's post-cruise extension, and so am looking for ideas of places to go. I frequently use Trip Advisor, Viator, and Rick Steeves and so have lots of suggestions from those sources, but it's always nice to get some input from people who perhaps have been there and know firsthand what attractions might be well worth it.

Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• edited September 2017
    We were in Budapest with the Blue Danube River cruise, so I don't know which places your tour will cover, but probably similar. The Hungarian Opera House and the Great Market Hall (the food part) are both well worth seeing. If we'd had more extra days in Budapest, I would have tried to get tickets to an opera. Also see "Shoes on the Danube." Other things that looked interesting that I would explore if we ever go back: Hospital in the Rock, Szechenyi Bath, the Buda Castle funicular, and going inside the Parliament building. We arrived one day early in Budapest for our tour and took a 2-hour tuk tuk tour through Viator. It was really great and the driver was knowledgable and interesting.
  • We spent a couple of extra days following our Blue Danube Cruise in Budapest. We went to the Gellert Thermal Baths (great experience) and to the Hungarian National Museum (you get an excellent historical view of Hungary). On our last day, we tried to go to the Jewish Memorial, but the lines were very long so we decided to do the National Museum instead.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! Looking forward to going.
  • We are in Budapest right now on the land tour and most of the major sites are covered Both nside and out. I am not sure what the River tour includes, maybe it is just drive bys. The Parlament building is spectacular inside, but by the crowds, it looks like you would have to get tickets well in advance, but we were in a Tauck bubble, so of course we skipped lines and had a glorious guided tour there. It also has a really good gift shop. The Opera building is just about to close for renovation, the seats have already been removed. Our favorite estra tour was the Hospital in the Rocks. We did not think the Crafts part of the market hall was worth it but the food market area was interesting. It is very very busy here and has been wet and pretty cold, layers! Someone stole my Ritz Carlton unmbrella at the door while we were eating lunch but we continued to brave the rain and wind that day.
  • edited September 2017
    British,

Sorry to hear about the weather and the pilfered umbrella. How rude of people to do such things. Thanks so much for the insight. Interesting though about the Opera - I had read on several websites (including their own - I think) that the Opera will still be open to visit and even offer tours during the renovation process. So is that not the case? I was thinking too that advance ticket purchases would almost be a necessity for Parliament - guess we'll just view it from the outside.

Based on our itinerary, all it says is that we will have "a guided tour of Buda and Pest which explores Castle Hill, site of the Fisherman's Bastion and Matthias Church. You'll also visit Heroes' Square and enjoy views of Parliament". So...that does not sound like it includes all that much, though it's possible they have not listed everything. After lunch on the boat, the remainder of the day is free. The next morning is the end of the cruise but as I mentioned I added 2 extra days (including disembarkation day). The concierge at the hotel we're staying at sent me a pretty substantial list of places to visit including walking distance from the hotel, so we should be able to fill the time. If we go back over there again sometime later to do the rest of the cruise over to the Black Sea, we'll have additional time in Budapest. There is always more to see wherever you go!

Thanks again for the update...hope your weather improves soon. Safe travels...

Keith
  • A must see is the Parliament Building like no other! But book in advance the tours are sold out quickly.
  • Hi Keith, which Blue Danube cruise will you be on? My husband Jeff and I will be on the Prague to Budapest 10/26-11/6. We are very excited, as this is our first Tauck trip, and our son is studying for the semester in Budapest.

Kate
  • We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest - also our first river cruise. For the price, I'm sure hoping it's going to be a great experience! How neat that you'll be able to visit your son over there! We had a similar experience when our daughter spent a partial semester in Wales - planned a neat small group trip that toured Wales and then we added extra days in Cardiff where she was studying. Enjoy!
  • Here are several additional places you might want to check out. Memento Park is about 45 minutes from downtown. We bought tickets that included admission and the bus. Departed at 11am and returned at 1:30pm. Many of the Communist Era statutes that survived were moved to this site and it was an interesting tour. We went to an organ recital at the Basilica of St. Stephen. Tickets were ordered in advance however they were selling tickets at the door. We tried to get into The House of Terror however the lines were very long so we took a pass on that exhibit. Walk the Chain Bridge during the day and after sunset. It is spectacular.

Places we had dinner on our own were Pesti Diszno Bisztro (close to Opera) and Borkanyaha WineKitched (close to Basilica of St. Stephens). We made reservations about 30-45 days out as they were booking up fast.

Happy Cruising!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file