Budapest to Amsterdam july14 2018

My wife and I live in Amsterdam and have just booked the tour, we will fly to Prague for a couple days , then to Budapest where we will board the boat. Hoping to have an a good holiday with pleasant wheather and interesting people.

Comments

• Kees,

We're doing a Tauck Tulip Time cruise next Spring and begin in Amsterdam and end in Brussels. Can you share some restaurants to consider in Amsterdam, and must see places that Tauck does not take us to. We did Prague to Budapest last year and loved the trip. We had extra days in Prague and Budapest and really enjoyed both cities.

Ed and Vicki
  • Hi Ed,

Amsterdam is a very cosmopolitan city with every nationality under the sun in its inhabitants,with the result many restaurants of every tast and nationality. What do you like and how long will jou be in Amsterdam.????

With regards to places to see, what is TAUCK dishing up on your planned tour, unless that is known it wil be difficult to suggest other venues. In spring time the majority of visitors go to the largest botanical flower garden in Holland, it is called " KEUKENHOF " and extremely popular among the tourists and is at about a half hour journey bij car or coach from the city center.

Carla and I often travel to various Europeaan cities, and if we stay for a couple of days we take the hop on hop of bus on the first day. The ticket is useable for 48 hours so that once you get a feel of the city on day one you can leuisurely investigate the city with the info gained on the bus tour.

If it a short visit we always do a walking tour with a personal guide, you see more, walks less tiring and useless miles and have local knowledge at hand about the local restaurant scene.

Cheerio,

Kees and Carla van Roon
  • edited October 2017
    Hello Kees and Carla,
    We arrive Amsterdam at noon on day 1. Staying at the W Amsterdam. We are free until mid afternoon on day 3 and have two dinners on our own. We enjoy most cuisines except raw fish and curry dishes. Maybe you could suggest a few unique restaurants. In Amsterdam, Tauck takes us to Keukenhof Gardens, on a canal cruise and the Rijksmuseum. Then we're on a river boat to Dordrecht and Windmills of Kinderdijk and on to Bruges, Antwerp, Maastricht, and Brussels. Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks. Let me know if you'd like any Danube ideas.
    Ed and Vicki
  • Hi Ed ( the name is Kees not Keys )

For meals and Restaurants I suggest the following

1. A night's cruise trough the canals while dinner is being served is very romantic and bound to score points for you with Vicki and 2. a very good restaurant with live entertainment - the waiters and waitresses are young people who attend de music conservatorium is called - PASTA E BASTA . This is very popular with at times extraordinaire good quality performances. We have eaten there several times, they have two sittings 7.00 to 9.00 pm and 9.00 to 11.00 and the second sitting is the best as you do not have to vacate your seats at a predetermined time. Your hotel is pretty wel in the centre of Amsterdam and both choices are at walking distances. As both possibilities are very popular it is advised to book wel in advance of your arrival.

Excursion 1. ( allow 4 - 5 hours incl. travel time, it is about 45 min per car or coach from your Hotel)

A visit to the ZAANSE SCHANS, this a +/- 5 square miles area where all historic buildings, homes and working mills have been relocated which have had to make way for urban developement. They hold wooden clog maken exhibitions there and cheese maken and tasting performances. We have family and friends from Australia at our house on a regular basis and they al feel that if you have visited that venue, you get the feeling wat Holland is al about

Excursion 2. ( allow 4 - 5hours incl. travel time, it is about 60 min per car or coach from your Hotel)

A visit to VOLENDAM, this is an old fishing village on the shores of the old ZUIDER Zee, this stood in direct contact with the North Sea before they built a 25 mile dike across it in de 1930,s

I would like to reitterate an earlier suggestion to hire a local guide to do a walking tour of the city, we do it al the time and have already booked them in PRAGUE and BUDAPEST for our visit in 2018. But perhaps you two are a couple of spring chickens and don,t mind walking many tiring miles in a unknown city.

Cheerio, Kees and Carla.
  • Dear Kees and Carla,

Sorry for the typo on your name. It has been corrected. We appreciate the suggestions and will look into them. Any suggestions for people who do the walking tours? We are in our 70's and still quite ambulatory and love to walk around cities.

Cheers,

Ed and Vicki

• Hi Ed and Vicki,

Apology accepted, i realise of course that it was a slip of the pen.

A walking tour of Amsterdam can be booked via the tourist board or in Holland it is known as the V.V.V Amsterdam. You could check on their site or search further on te net voor a private guide. The cost are generally between € 50.00 and € 60,00 for a two hours tour. We generally book the guide around lunch time and get him or her to pick us from the hotel, zo dat we have the opportunity to have beer or a light bite together. This enable us to bond together, improve the zeal of the guide to go out of his way to make us enjoy the city of our choice more and enable us to pick his brain for personeel sight seeing sites or adresses of quality restaurants. It certainly makes the sightseeing more efficient and prevents us from being tired out through uninteresting walking miles.

Amsterdam has its own special coffee shops on just about every corner, where Starbucks is not sold but a great variety of cannabis without the risk of being arrested. I have never smoked anything but the city is flooded with young people who enjoy it.

Amsterdam is flooded to extreem levels by tourist everyday and its arteries are clogging up to the point that it is causing problems.

Be extremely ware of pickpockets mainly from the eastern Europeaan regions.

Cheerio,

Kees and Carla
  • Good Morning,

Carla and I are going to have plenty of room on the ship but no one to talk too, nearly seven thousand have aparently read my first posting but no one has joined the cruise. I shall have to bring extra P.G.Wodehouse books to read and more games that Carla and I can play and perhaps ask Tauck for a free upgrede.

Kees and Carla van Roon
  • Kees, have no fear. We made friends from all over. You will not have any problem finding great folks. Perhaps you will end up making lifelong friends as we did from our Budapest to Amsterdam trip a couple of summers ago. We have good friends from all of our Tauck travels over the years. Enjoy. greg in Las Vegas
  • Good Morning,

Carla and I are going to have plenty of room on the ship but no one to talk too, nearly seven thousand have aparently read my first posting but no one has joined the cruise. I shall have to bring extra P.G.Wodehouse books to read and more games that Carla and I can play and perhaps ask Tauck for a free upgrede.

Kees and Carla van Roon
    Not to worry there will be fellow passengers to meet on your cruise. We're approaching our 5th Tauck tour and I've never yet chatted with any fellow travelers here on the forum before a trip but always found kindred spirits once on the tour.

Enjoy and let us all know how it went after. We're booked for this one in 2019.
  • Hi Claudia and Greg Peterman,

Our faith in human nature has been restored by you both, we had almost given up.

Cheerio,

Kees and Carla van Roon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file