Rain Pants

We are booked for the January 2, 2018 trip and are getting our gear together. It is recommended to bring rain pants, but are ski pants acceptable? The ski pants seem to offer additional insulation but are bulkier than rain pants.

Any recommendations would be welcome especially from travelers who have made this excursion.

Comments

• Well, all I can say is that it didn't rain at all for us in Jan 2012. I'd go with the ski pants. While it won't be extremely cold, you'll probably appreciate the insulation. Just tuck them inside the boots so that they don't get wet on the (always) wet landings. They'll be sufficiently waterproof (or resistant).
  • I suspect the "rain pants" are more to protect your other pants from getting soiled with penguin poop, should you slip and fall. Seriously!
  • edited November 2017
    Good point about the penguin poop as well as mud from inadvertent landings. We washed the leg bottoms of our ski pants (the part below the insulation) which quickly dried between excursions (we each had 2 pair so could alternate). Mostly it's the boots which get messed up and subsequently cleaned upon reboarding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file