Options

Belonging when snorkeling?

What are the arrangements for backpack & cameras when doing the water activities, like snorkeling? I've seen the posts saying there are wet suits available sounds like there must be changing facilities?

Comments

• Options
    JohnDay wrote:
    What are the arrangements for backpack & cameras when doing the water activities, like snorkeling? I've seen the posts saying there are wet suits available sounds like there must be changing facilities?

You change into and out of your swim suit and wetsuit aboard ship. Normally you will return to the ship between activities, e.g. after a snorkeling trip, before a nature walk. You will have both beach and boat (enter and exit the water away from any beach) snorkeling activities. You can carry a backpack and dryland camera in the panga (Zodiac) for beach snorkeling trips, but you might want to purchase a waterproof drybag to protect your camera in case you trip snf fall into the water while entering and exiting the panga during wet landings. Other than your snorkeling gear and a towel which you will carry in a net bag, there really isn't much need to take a backpack on a boat snorkeling trip.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't expect structures to be built, but wasn't sure how that would work.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    The YouTube video at this link was shot and edited by our naturalists. In addition to fish, there are two shots of a group of us riding to a snorkeling site in a panga. I'm the next to last guy on the left in the Tilley hat and sunglasses, wearing a black warm-water dive suit with yellow stripes (others are wearing the ship's shorty wetsuits). At 4:55 snorkelers are entering the water, at 6:50 you see me with my underwater light with GoPro camera mounted on top, at 9:50 you see me swimming deep, at 10:30 you get another view of the panga- the floor is cluttered with our gear bags. Not visible is the large box/step and aluminum boarding ladder used on deep water snorkels to re-enter the panga. I'm the last guy on the left waving. At 13:55 we are snorkeling amidst a group of about 20 or so huge green sea turtles. I'm the diver in the distance with underwater light.

Yes, those are real white tip reef sharks and at least one hammerhead shark, and a large spotted ray.

When the video stops playing the suggested videos on the right by IBOXPAPA and titled "Sharks", "UW-2", UW-5, etc. were shot by me. If your computer is capable, they are best viewed in HD.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file