Christmas riverboat Danube river tour leaving Nov. 26,2017

Wondering if anyone else on this riverboat trip leaving from Vienna, Austria Nov. 26th.??? This is our first riverboat tour and very excited about xmas market tour. We've been on many Tauck tours. We are from Louisiana.

Comments

• There is so much to see in Vienna plus getting over jetlag so it is worth arriving early. We are just about to return today from the land tour that does Vienna in the middle. Our tour guide takes the land and riverboat tours and says the river ones only skim the surface of what there is to see and do. We were in Vienna several days and still were unable to cover everything we wanted to see in our freee time.
  • My husband and I will be on this trip! This is our fourth riverboat trip, the third with Tauck. LOVE the riverboats ~ your traveling hotel room!! We have been to most of these cities, and too, excited to see the Christmas markets. We are from Boston and look forward to meeting you.
  • Looking forward to meeting everyone, also. We are arriving on the 24th in Vienna. We have been here before but never enough time to enjoy everything. My father was from Boston so I have a special love for Boston!!!
  • Queen blue wrote:
    Wondering if anyone else on this riverboat trip leaving from Vienna, Austria Nov. 26th.??? This is our first riverboat tour and very excited about xmas market tour. We've been on many Tauck tours. We are from Louisiana.

My husband and I will be on this trip and can't wait! We did the Tauck Christmas Markets river cruise on the Rhine last year and it was the trip of a lifetime! The markets are absolutely charming and wonderful and then after the day in such a lovely environment, you get to come "home" to your amazing ship and delicious dinner and socializing. We are from Virginia and can't wait to meet you as well as the Boston folks! See you soon.
  • Hi there - if you are from Louisiana I would strongly recommend a trip to the shops for a warm coat.
    Vienna has a maximum daytime temperature of 8°C, compared to your maximum of 18°C!!

• I am trying to prepare myself for very cold weather but hard when it's 80 degrees outside!!! I have ugg boots, warm coat with hood trimmed in fur, scarves, long sleeve under clothes and gloves. But will need a hot toddy to drink!!! We are very excited about trip. We leave Thanksgiving day.
  • Having done this trip on the Rhine last year, I suggest you also bring some of those little hand warmers that you can slip into your gloves or coat pockets. The kind that you "crunch" to activate. I got some at Dick's Sporting Goods but I expect they can be found most anywhere. One other thing I'm bringing this year which I didn't have last year is a neck warmer that can be pulled up to cover my nose. Also found at Dick's. My nose was really cold as we walked through the markets. One final thought...wool socks (Smart Wool brand) kept my feet toasty. See you soon!
  • This is our first Tauck trip and we are so excited! We arrive on the 25th in Vienna and I am actively packing and re-packing making sure not to take too much! We did a river tour in with another company in 1981 for our honeymoon, on the Rhine, and that was our last river tour. We are from Texas. Can any of you seasoned Tauck travelers tell me if there is a clothes iron in the room, or will I just have to get over being wrinkled? Can't wait to meet y'all!!
  • edited November 2017
    Whkendri wrote:
    This is our first Tauck trip and we are so excited! We arrive on the 25th in Vienna and I am actively packing and re-packing making sure not to take too much! We did a river tour in with another company in 1981 for our honeymoon, on the Rhine, and that was our last river tour. We are from Texas. Can any of you seasoned Tauck travelers tell me if there is a clothes iron in the room, or will I just have to get over being wrinkled? Can't wait to meet y'all!!

Cat 7 cabins have iron/ironing board in the closet. You can ask to borrow one in other cabin levels. Have a great trip! We loved our Blue Danube trip last October.
  • Yep, you can borrow an iron/ironing board. Just tell them at the front desk. I generally avoid it by packing clothes that don't need much ironing (knits, magic fabric blends, etc) and hanging everything up as soon as you get in your stateroom. I also pack a very small spray bottle (a few ounces). I mist the item, hang it up then blow it dry with the hairdryer in the stateroom.

Don't pack alot of dressy clothes. Slacks and sweaters are the order of the day for men and women on cold weather cruises. More important to have a warm coat that will fit over layers, hat/gloves and warm comfortable walking shoes/boots for day wear. For evenings on board, a warm sweater or wrap and comfortable flats to change into. Don't worry about wearing the same thing over and over. As long as it's clean, no one else is likely to even notice.
  • Thanks for the quick replies about the irons, great advice on the spray bottle and hair dryer!! I'm so excited I haven't slept well all weekend!! See you all soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file