December 2017 trip getting close.....

Thanks to everyone for the many insights in these forums. As we fine tune our packing and talked about hats we had a question on the jeeps that are used for the game drives. In one photo there appears to be a raised top that is over the folks as they take photos. Another photo has no raised top and the folks have more room. Can anyone provide some insight as to how the jeeps are structured for standing viewing?

Comments

• These vehicles are Toyota’s, not jeeps. In Tanzania the roofs are peel back, and in Kenya they raise up, hence the different types you see. As I recall the interior configurations are the same: a bench seat that runs across the back, and two sets of single seats on either side of the middle aisle, seating 6 comfortably ( well, as comfy as one can be on the roads) and allowing a window view for everyone. When the vehicle stops for viewing, everyone stands on his/ her seat (no shoes) with heads above the top of the vehicle. On our trip we had no one hogging a viewing. If there was something really good on one side people moved around so that everyone had a fair share. We had a great group! There is also a seat next to the driver, but the roof does not open. The number of people in each vehicle varies, as the TD tries to mix it up...we had 4, 5, or 6. The TD usually took that front seat. And, as an interesting side-note, most of the vehicles are quite old ( we had an interesting chat with one of our drivers about the vehicles). They are pretty much refurbished after each trip. Not only are your drivers experts on wildlife and where to find it, they are all ace mechanics who keep their vehicles running. When we were leaving the Mara on the way back to Nairobi, the plane was the largest one we had been, seating our entire group and even a few more from a Micato group. Prior to takeoff we had to deplane as there was some sort of engine trouble. As we left, there was one of our drivers, standing on the hood of his truck, working on the plane engine! And, since the trip was uneventful, I have to believe he knew what he was doing! Never a dull moment on this wonderful trip!
  • edited November 2017
    Well, I hate to disagree with my good friend Joyce, but on our K&T (June 2015) the Tanzanian and both sets of Kenyan Toyota's (Amboseli/Mount Kenya set + Maasai Mara set) had similar roofs with minor differences in the supports. There were differences in the side windows- the vehicles in Tanzania, and at Amboseli and Mount Kenya in Kenya had hard plexiglass, or glass sliding windows while those in the Maasai Mara had clear vinyl roll-up windows. Some vehicles had sloped front hatches for the driver and front passenger (see first photo), most didn't:

The first photo was taken during the game drive in the Serengeti, just before we arrived at the Four Seasons. While a number of those in Kenya were branded "Tauck" like this one below, they were supplied by Asilia, an outfitter. I heard there might be a new supplier or someone bought out Asilia, I don't remember. Most of our vehicles in Kenya were new or nearly so in 2015. Note sliding plexiglass windows:

IMG_1840r.jpg

Pit stop before entering Lake Manyara Park:

IMG_1624r.jpg

This photo was taken at the Ngerende airstrip in the Maasai Mara just after landing. Note roll-up windows in the second photo taken during champagne breakfast after the balloon flight.

IMG_2429r.jpg

IMG_2700r.jpg

Maasai Mara lion- my wife swore it was getting ready to pounce, so seconds after I took the photo she hit the deck. Some of us had a laugh.

IMG_2748r.jpg

In any case, between considerate co-travelers and superb drivers who, if requested or as needed, adjusted the position of the vehicles, there was never a problem finding a spot to take photos.

Ol Pajeta Conservancy:

IMG_2332r.jpg

Amboseli:
    IMG_2007r.jpg

Maasai Mara:

IMG_2726r.jpg

In back there is a center isle with three rows of seats 1 + 1- everybody has a window seat! 5 vehicles with 6 guests + driver + empty seat (for TD or a guest). The last seat may be a 3-person bench seat or two individual seats like the others, separated by a cooler, and charging station.

• The vehicles are remanufactured Toyota Land Cruisers. They cut them in half behind the driver’s seat, and expand the back to accomodate six passengers, and add the ‘convertable’ roof. They also add an additional fuel tank, and most carry two spare tires. They see some rough use so some may look old, but our TD said they are replaced every five years. Most of the rides we had looked pretty new, and the drivers wash and clean them every night. They were pretty spiffy compared to some other tour outfits that used mini-vans and vehicles that looked like they were used in “Mad Max” movies. As I recall we had three different sets of vehicles and drivers. We always rotated so no one got stuck riding in the back all the time. The rear seat is a pretty rough ride.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file