Options

Electric Adaptors

Which adaptors work best for Spotlight on India India tour - I see type C, D and M are used? Is there one that works best or do we need all 3 types?

Comments

• Options
    India has somewhat unique standards. The main standard for India is the D plug. You can get a two pin (ungrounded) version of this, as well. The two pin version is different from the European standard. It has fatter pins. However, when we went in 2012, all of the hotels had universal outlets on desk that work with any plug, including US plugs.
  • Options
    And, if you have a travel outlet ( Monster brand) you will only need one adapter and gain 4 outlets plus save yourself the pain of crawling around behind sofas and desks looking for additional outlets! Alan has posted photos of it, if you are not sure what it looks like. Also, for anyone who uses one, know that there is a reset button beneath the cord where the cord meets the plastic. I didn’t on our last trip and thought the outlet had given up the ghost.
  • Options
    joycesw wrote:
    And, if you have a travel outlet ( Monster brand) you will only need one adapter and gain 4 outlets plus save yourself the pain of crawling around behind sofas and desks looking for additional outlets! Alan has posted photos of it, if you are not sure what it looks like. Also, for anyone who uses one, know that there is a reset button beneath the cord where the cord meets the plastic. I didn’t on our last trip and thought the outlet had given up the ghost.
    : )

Four receptacle version (cord in stowed position):

MPOTG400BK_250.jpg
  • Options
    Check this out: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5ZFB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very compact 3-for-1 outlet extension with a bonus of 2 USB charging ports. The instructions are clear that the USB ports are 110-240v compatible. The extension outlets, of course, don't convert voltage so your devices must be 110-240v compatible as most modern electronics are. Comes complete with a set of plug adapters (I note that India isn't included, but I have those separately) for most parts of the world. The plug adapters fit snugly so the device with adapter should be solid in a wall outlet. Since it is compact, you'll get at least 2 extended outlets since one side of the device has two fairly close together though 2 iPhone adapters can be used on that side at once.

I plan on using this on domestic travel since many older hotels have too few and ill-positioned outlets not to mention no USB charging ports. My new favorite device, I think.
  • Options
    I am also very interested in which plug/adapters we should pac
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Helid wrote:
    I am also very interested in which plug/adapters we should pac

Mostly (from my research) you'll need Type D. I bought a set of 3 from Amazon ( https://smile.amazon.com/Ceptics-India-Travel-Plug-Adapter/dp/B007YLEQ58/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510175649&sr=8-3&keywords=type+d+plug+adapter ) which when combined with my new favorite accessory (see above) will allow me to plug in up to 5 items plus 2 USB devices...should be enough. Some places in India also use Type C, the type used throughout Europe so I'll have a bunch of those along, as well (Northern India & Nepal next February).

A handy site for questions about adapters is: https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
  • Options
    Thank you for the information regarding adaptors and outlet plugs!
  • Options
    Another question regarding outlet adaptors - have heard their are power surges in India also! Do we need a SURGE protector travel outlet for iPhone, iPad type equipment or ok without?
  • Options
    I just returned from the spotlight tour....all our hotels accepted plugs without adaptors. While I brought mine, I never needed to use them.
    Enjoy the tour, it is trip unlike any other.
  • Options
    I just returned from the spotlight tour....all our hotels accepted plugs without adaptors. While I brought mine, I never needed to use them.
    Enjoy the tour, it is trip unlike any other.
    Are you talking adapters or converters here! I am sure we needed the Indian style adapters whenever we took the tour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file