Traveling Solo ?

cb2labs wrote:
Very excited, the 2019 prices are out for the Botswana Tour 2019. Looks like itinerary and lodging is staying the same. I am so eager to go back and experience something different after my Tanzania/Zanzibar tour in 2017. I will, however, be going Solo on this next Tauck adventure. This will be my first time traveling solo and I am a little anxious going so far away....

Any other solo travelers booked on this for 2019 yet? I am looking at May, or June, 2019.

Not going solo, but signed up for May. Wish it was sooner! Yup, same itinerary and lodging, but prices went up! The first two departures increased $1,200.00, all others went up $1,100.00! They stopped separating out the price of on-tour air.

Comments

• edited February 2018
    AlanS wrote:
    Not going solo, but signed up for May. Wish it was sooner! Yup, same itinerary and lodging, but prices went up! The first two departures increased $1,200.00, all others went up $1,100.00! They stopped separating out the price of on-tour air.

Alan, sounds like wonderful trip....I wondered why price jumped so much, the weeks fill fast...I need to make a decision soon! I know you travel quite a bit, could you tell me your thoughts on travel insurance? Tauck offers protection, but medical coverage limits seem a little low if you are out of the country, and my medicare won't kick in from what I understand.
  • edited February 2018
    cb2labs wrote:
    Alan, sounds like wonderful trip....I wondered why price jumped so much, the weeks fill fast...I need to make a decision soon! I know you travel quite a bit, could you tell me your thoughts on travel insurance? Tauck offers protection, but medical coverage limits seem a little low if you are out of the country, and my medicare won't kick in from what I understand.

We always get it. We used in once when we had to cancel literally days before our departure, but have never needed used it on tour. The one time paid for itself and probably for insurance on all our other trips. Just last fall, the husband of a friend had a back problem mid-tour while on K&T in the Serengeti and had to be evacuated. I don't know if all the reimbursements have been finalized, but it sounds like Tauck and their insurance underwriter took care of everything and more. I think the goal is to get people quickly medevac'd home for treatment where their insurance will usually take over. I'd certainly want that as well.
  • Big fan of Tauck insurance. We had to use it when British Airways had their computer ‘failure’ last year. Stuck in London for three days, while our trip commenced in Stockhollm. We got to Stockholm on SAS just in time to board our ship ... no help whatsoever from BA. Some items were covered directly by Tauck ... the missed portions of the trip, and ‘everything’ else was covered by the insurance. Never did get our luggage ... travelled for two weeks with nothing but our carry-on, which was not even full. We pack differently now. We, as a matter of necessity because London suddenly had thousands of unexpected visitors, stayed in the finest hotels, ate the finest food and drink, and travelled by limo to and from the airport because regular transport had become unavailable ... miles long taxi lines. The insurance covered everything. After we managed to book our air to Stockholm on SAS, the emergency was over, and we actually really enjoyed our unexpected three day vacation in London.

• Thank you all for thoughts on trip insurance. I booked my trip to Botswana for May 2019 and took the trip insurance offered by Tauck. Would love to see some current 2018 reviews of this trip from fellow travelers after they return.
  • What an exciting trip, i hope you have fun.

In regards to your travel insurance questions, i use review sites like compare travel insurance & Travel insurance reviews australia.