questions about our upcoming trip to Zambia, Botswana and Capetown departing on April 28

1. Spiders ??? on one of the day outings, it says watch spinning spiders....dont really want to see spinning spiders!
2. How cold is it in the morning on safari in early May?
3. Is there a problem wearing black pants or jacket?
4. Other general helpful info for Africa in Late April, early May?

Comments

• We are also on the April 28th trip!

I have been monitoring the weather at Victoria Falls, the Moremi Game Reserve in Botswana, and Cape Town for several weeks. Friday, April 20th's forecast is:

Victoria Falls High 87 degrees, Low 63 degrees ... fairly consistent

Moremi Game Reserve Hghi 55 degrees, Low 43 degrees ... this location has had wide swings including highs in the mid-80s, lows in the 60s

Cape Town High 64, Low 54 ... five days before is projected to be in the mid-50's

So we are bringing layers: a thin jacket, lightweight fleece and heavier cotton jacket.

As I type this my husband is spraying our safari clothing with bug repellant which seemed to help when we were in Peru on the Amazon. We are also bringing DEET.

I have a couple pair of black pants, but will wear primarily neutral colors on Safari.

Because of other postings on the bulletin board, we are bringing U.S. small bills to use in Zambia and Botswana.

Looking forward to meeting you!
  • GBF wrote:
    1. Spiders ??? on one of the day outings, it says watch spinning spiders....dont really want to see spinning spiders!
    2. How cold is it in the morning on safari in early May?
    3. Is there a problem wearing black pants or jacket?
    4. Other general helpful info for Africa in Late April, early May?

We went in May 2016, and we are going back in July to K & T. We did not see spiders. Saw some other bugs.

I am putting a link here to my Botswana album. If you are clever you can figure out how to play it as a slideshow. Most mornings, and evenings are ‘cool’.

https://botswanazambiasouthafrica2016.shutterfly.com/

But the pictures will show you how people dressed. You can start out with black pants in the morning, and they will probably be gray or maybe even white by the evening ...lots of dust. Neutral colors are best for several reasons, but they also don’t show dust as much.
  • edited April 2018
    I think it is important to remember that it depends on the time of year you go to this area so April/May might not be so dusty as the rainy season will just have finished or possibly be lingering a little. We went in September but next time we hope to go in June or July to observe the area in a different ‘season’. It’s good to always check the weather before you book a particular vacation destination because if your traveling time is flexible you want to pick a time of year that is best for the type of weather you like or can tolerate, this is what we always do, pick a destination, check out the weather and then decide if our time frame fits the bill. And this is always way ahead of the trip, maybe eighteen months or so out. We recently booked a December 2019 tour with Tauck. That’s how booked up Tauck gets these days.
  • Thanks for the pictures Sealord, we can't wait to go!!
  • edited April 2018
    British wrote:
    . We recently booked a December 2019 tour with Tauck. That’s how booked up Tauck gets these days.

We are on the ‘wish list’ for a trip in the spring or early summer of 2020. A small ship cruise that carries only 60 pax, so we are getting aboard early!