Cell phone and WiFi on boat

Do I need to get a special ATT package before I leave or is something offered to purchase on ship?

Comments

• CATSOOS wrote:
    Do I need to get a special ATT package before I leave or is something offered to purchase on ship?

I've been looking at this as well for our trip - however only applies to post-paid and I don't have - but here's info for you:

att cruise ship packages

The prices and phone numbers are included in the link; princess ships are included in the package.

You can purchase internet on the ship - expensive as well. I plan to use my phone in port and use an app to make calls if necessary using internet while at sea.
  • ???? This is an old thread.

WiFi is free on the ship. You can use that to Skype or Facetime. Free WiFi may also be available at hot spots and business in some towns.

Your cell phone will work (for calls and data) when you are are docked or on deck at sea when near a town/cell tower. Service depends on your existing plan.

There is no need to buy any special phone or data packages for this trip with the possible exception of the Canada segment.
  • AlanS wrote:
    ???? This is an old thread.

WiFi is free on the ship. You can use that to Skype or Facetime. Free WiFi may also be available at hot spots and business in some towns.

Your cell phone will work (for calls and data) when you are are docked or on deck at sea when near a town/cell tower. Service depends on your existing plan.

There is no need to buy any special phone or data packages for this trip with the possible exception of the Canada segment.

Wifi is free? The only free wifi that I can see is for onboard information and messaging to others on the cruise (Princess@sea). I agree with your comments on ashore(and plan to use my cell on land) - however unless you are Platinum Captain's Circle or higher, I don't believe there is any free internet - see:

Internet access is available on all Princess vessels through our 24-hour onboard Internet Cafe and wireless network -- which is available in some staterooms and various public areas including our world famous Piazzas.

Use our state-of-the-art computer systems to access your web-based email account, or browse the Internet for world news, sports and stock trading. Or bring your wireless-enabled laptop and access the Internet through our improved onboard wireless service.

Guests who subscribe to email services from an Internet Service Provider (ISP) are advised to verify that their ISP has a web-mail viewing site prior to sailing. Most major ISPs have websites that allow email access via a web browser using an email address and password.

Please contact the Internet Café Manager onboard for information regarding the charges that apply to Internet and wireless services and any other specific requirements.

source: https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/in_touch.jsp

Plus – Platinum and Elite Captain’s Circle members benefit from credit toward Internet Café packages.

View Internet Access Packages available to order.

• Sorry, I didn't read past "Complimentary basic Internet" so missed the "on land" in the Before You Go: "Complimentary basic Internet where available on land; service levels are not guaranteed."

Regardless of fees charged by lodging providers, Tauck usually provides (basic level) "free internet where available." Princess appears to be an exception. Pretty primitive as well- you must use webmail instead of regular email. My ISP browser-based webmail is atrocious.

In any case, I would give Tauck a call just to verify and be sure. Also, I can't imagine Tauck expects you to pay to use their new app, unless they don't plan to upload Grand Alaska and other similar cruise tours to the app. Free internet is provided on Tauck river cruises.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file