Options

hiring drivers for transfers between cities in Italy

If I was traveling solo, I wouldn't hesitate to use any form of public transportation. That said, I'm traveling with my 2 sons (17 & 19 yo) and my husband. None of them travel well. They don't tolerate inconveniences. Also, they have only traveled domestically. After a transcontinental flight, I don't want the trip to start off poorly by switching to a bus or train to take us from the Rome airport to Siena. We added on one overnight at the start of the trip and 3 at the end.

The best advice you might want to give me may be to confirm that I'm nuts to even embark on this trip. I figure this may be one of the last times that I can plan such an ambitious journey with the 4 of us together.

My question is, has anyone used private drivers for transfers between cities in Italy. If so, would you recommend a particular company?

Many thanks,
Mary

Comments

• Options
    One of the reasons we travel with Tauck is the avoid exactly what you are concerned about. We've taken 3 river cruises and 1 land tour and never yet had to arrange our own transfers. In general this is included in your tour price unless you are arriving early or staying late at a location other than the Tauck designated hotels i.e. either the hotels included in the tour or the ones listed under Accommodations Arrive Early/Stay Later. And even then there are exceptions.

You mention Siena but I see from the 2018 Classic Italy Small Group itinerary that the tour starts in Sorrento so this is confusing.

Maybe you could better explain your plans and how that differs from the tour. Then I or someone else here could help you.

• Options
    Hello~we were going to add some days to a trip ending in Sorrento and wanted driver/guide to go to Pompeii and other places. I contacted Tauck for a contact with their usual transit company which they provided. The folks were great! We ended up shifting our dates, but it was a great resource. By the way, their price ws competitive with others I found online, including transit to/from Rome airport. Ciao!
  • Options
    Hello~we were going to add some days to a trip ending in Sorrento and wanted driver/guide to go to Pompeii and other places. I contacted Tauck for a contact with their usual transit company which they provided. The folks were great! We ended up shifting our dates, but it was a great resource. By the way, their price ws competitive with others I found online, including transit to/from Rome airport. Ciao!
  • Options
    Mary ... we did the Classic Italy Small Group the end of 2016. It was our first Tauck trip and THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME. One of the many great things about Tauck is that everything is handled and very smoothly. There are no bumps in the road with them (we did experience an earthquake in Tuscany during our trip, but chalked it up to another experience). It sounds like if you are going to all the trouble of booking separate services, you should not spend all the money to take this trip. THat is one of the many pleasures, the bus is comfortable and convenient. The private boat portion was a treat. Do not be concerned. If your family does not love this adventure and appreciate all that this tour provides, let them book themselves a plane back home, and YOU ENJOY THE TRIP yourself. The SMALL GROUP atmosphere is THE BEST. You will be with the most friendly and wonderful people. RELAX and ENJOY your trip. STOP WORRYING. Also, your tour leader will be so helpful and wonderful. We had Anna. Loved her.
    Let us know how it goes.... but GO!
  • Options
  • Options
    Mary,
    Hopefully your family does not make the trip unpleasant for everyone else.
  • Options
    MarilynandGary,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Looking forward to "the trip of a lifetime," as you suggest.

Best wishes,
    Mary
  • Options
    Mary, I did a Tauck tour of Italy a couple of years ago. The tour ended in Rome, and I took a train to Naples, where I was met by a driver who took me to Praiano on the Amalfi Coast. The car service was called Benvenuto. I also used them for a tour to Pompeii, Sorrento and Herculaneum. I recommend them, but I just googled them and it appears that they only service the area from Rome south.

In order to ease the transition into Europe for your family, you might want to consider getting a hotel room for the night that you fly over from the States, so when you land, you can go right to the hotel and take a nap. I have found that doing so really helps the mood of reluctant travelers, which makes the rest of the trip so much more enjoyable. In the scheme of things, it really doesn't add that much to the cost of what is already an expensive vacation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file