Options

day trip from London to Stonehenge

Has anyone taken a bus tour from London to Stonehenge? What can you recommend? Interested in something in August on weekend of 10-11, 2019.

Comments

• Options
    I would recommend taking a train to Salisbury. There are frequent buses from Salisbury to Stonehenge. While in Salisbury visit the Salisbury Cathedral and see one of the existing Magna Cartas. Salisbury is also a nice village to walk around. Also check out Old Sarum.
  • Options
    If you are only in London for a few days and it is your first time, then I suggest staying in London and seeing more sites there, visiting again at a less busy time and going to Stonehenge then. It takes weeks to see the major sites in London.
  • Options
    When we are in London we look in the paper or ask at our hotel. There are tours to many different places. The guide is usually a university professor trying to make some extra money. You meet at a certain corner at a certain time and pay the guide. Very reasonable. No reservations necessary. We went to Stonehenge with a stop at the Roman Baths, the British Museum, home of William Shakespeare, Stratford-upon-Avon, changing of the guard, etc.. The guides know how to avoid the crowds and sneak right in. I think they must grease the palms of the attendents.
  • Options
    Years ago -- in the 90s -- twice I took coach trips from London that went to Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge and Bath. We had time on our own to get lunch in Bath. They were trips similar to Greyline trips in the US. The tour picked us up at our hotel in central London, then took us to a central site in London from which the tour coach departed. I did not book before leaving the US. I'm sure that there are similar tours still offered. Check Trip Advisor or the concierge at your hotel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file