The Louvre

How much time was devoted to actually being inside the Louvre? Was it just with the Tauck tour director or was there an actual museum guide?

Comments

• Great question, Anne! I would also like to know if enough time was given at Monet's house and garden, as well as the D Day museum in Normandy? Did everyone like this tour, or was it rushed?
  • SHG wrote:
    Great question, Anne! I would also like to know if enough time was given at Monet's house and garden, as well as the D Day museum in Normandy? Did everyone like this tour, or was it rushed?

Sorry, I can't help with the Louvre question as our Seine cruise had that as a morning option (the Louvre or the Orangerie).

For Giverny, we were taken there early in the morning before it opened to the public and didn't feel rushed to tour the pond and gardens. Also got to see inside the house and time to pick up souvenirs in the shop. For us the ship stayed docked locally that day so we had time after to tour the very tiny town and walk up to the church where Monet's grave is but those weren't major highlights. There isn't time to sit and paint a picture if that's what you mean. We took tons of photos though.

The Normandy Beaches day was the longest of the tour with alot of bus time. It starts the afternoon before with a lecture by an expert in the ship's lounge. Then the next day it's at least an hour bus drive from the ship to the first sight - for us that was Point du Hoc. That isn't listed on your tour but doesn't necessarily mean you won't see it. Then on to a brief photo stop at Omaha beach following by the cemetery. Probably more time there than needed unless you know someone buried there. Lunch at the golf club - hopefully the food has improved - then the last stop was Arromaches where they built an artificial harbor. The only museum was the one in Arromache's where there was time to tour the small museum, watch an interesting video and a bit of time strolling around the town.
  • Thank you, Claudia! This all sounds so wonderful. It will be my third visit to Monet's house, so I'm looking forward to it! It always had the warm feeling to it. The Normandy part sounds like a lot to see and do packed into a small window to do so. Hoping it will be enough time. What were your other impressions of this cruise? How was the shipboard entertainment and food?
  • Our cruise was the Seine Plus Versaille and London one so a little different than yours. Also we had unseasonably hot dry weather for the region. It was nice when we were near the coast or on the sun deck while underway because we'd get a breeze. Some of the inland visits like Rouen and Les Andeles were a bit oppressive. I wanted to stay longer in Etretat because is was so beautiful and had a nice breeze (we didn't get a Caen choice so I can't speak to that).

Yes, the Dday touring was a long day and I wasn't initially all that interested but the guide we had was so interesting that even with the bus rides I was glad we did it.

I like the Seine for cruising. I think it had a more quaint and often residential feel than the Rhone or Rhine. They tend to have a more industrial feel.

The Sapphire was very nice. It was 2017 right after they had completed the redesign so everything felt new. The chef was a Scottish gentleman. Other than his soups (a little uninteresting) the food was excellent. Choices at dinner ranged from safe things like a good steak to more adventurous items if you wished. I actually had snails and frogs leg for the first time on that cruise. Excellent wine. We also had lunch one day in the bistro sitting on the outside deck.

Our Chateau dinner was at the De Bizy. It was a lovely setting, great food and a wonderful pianist to entertain us.

Shipboard entertainment was standard for Tauck which is pretty low key. While in Paris there was a group of singers that came on board one night who were excellent. We had a several afternoon lectures in the lounge. I believe there was a pianist on board for the cruise and a couple of game nights. Also the crew show. Some nights we just went up on the deck for a while or if tired down to our room to watch a movie. The ships have an on demand movie system with several choice many related to the tour like "Gigi" or "Saving Private Ryan".

Hope you have a nice cruise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file