Autum Along the Rhine...Munich's Oktoberfest

Hello, I am a solo traveler and will be on the Sept 23 - Oct 3 trip. I am looking forward to the trip. It will be my fifth with Tauck. Is anybody arriving a day early? What to pack for cool or possible cold weather? Thanks

Comments

• We did the Rhine/Moselle cruise a few years ago in mid Oct. Had hoped for Indian Summer weather but mostly had cool weather and the occasional drizzle. Also, the days are fairly short so you tend to eat breakfast and dinner when it's dark.
    Overall, the cruise had a cozy casual feel that affected what people wore.

Be prepared to layer your wardrobe in the hopes you'll get some warmer weather but able to adjust if not. My husband wears thin, base layer tee shirts (32 degrees from costco mostly) then puts on extra layers as needed.

For on board, I saw very few sport coats - mostly slacks and long sleeve shirts, pullover sweaters, and maybe a tie for special dinners. If sitting next to the window at dinner or in the lounge, it was noticeably cool. Jeans are frowned upon at dinner but no one will actually refuse you service.

For daily touring, pack a mid-weight waterproof jacket with a hood, a hat and gloves. Although the later can be bought along the way if you forget or lose your's. Also think about bringing 2 pairs of shoes for day wear in case one gets wet, as well as, a pair to slip into for evening. Gives your feet a break.

While we regretted the cooler weather and shorter days, the fall colors were beautiful. Hope you enjoy.

• Eric- I am also a single traveler and am on that trip. It will be my 8th Tauck river cruise and have been pleased with each one. At that time of year, it can be a bit of a challenge on what to bring. I usually just bring two short sleeve polo type shirts and the rest will be long sleeve. For the trip up to the Mt., make sure and bring a jacket. I went on another Tauck trip in Switzerland and it was really cold at the "top of Europe". I am getting into Amsterdam a day early as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file