Options

Westbound Danube River Cruise April 29, 2019

Greetings,
My husband Lee and I will be traveling from south Florida to Budapest to join the Blue Danube River Cruise which begins Monday, April 29, 2019. We will arrive in Budapest 2 days early and are looking for recommendations for what to do. We already have plans to visit the Dohany Synagogue. Also wondering if anyone else will be in the same situation and possibly looking to share some private excursions.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry Nana, we are not on this cruise but leaving late in May on the Budapest to Amsterdam one. Also with a couple of days early.

In addition to the Synagogue, here's some items on our list:

- We're booked on an all day private tour of the Danube Bend thru viator. It's costing about $75. Here's a link to it https://www.viator.com/tours/Budapest/Danube-Bend-Day-Trip-from-Budapest/d499-2420DANU or just google "viator danube bend day tour".

- The great market hall which is about 3/4 of a mile from the Synagogue. There's shopping and also a cafeteria style restaurant that's reasonably priced and gets fairly good reviews (not gourmet) but a bit of local flavor like goulash, langos, etc. They have a website with lots of info.

- Buda castle hill - cross the chain bridge, take the funicular to the top and there is a bunch of museums, St Matthias church, fisherman's bastion, etc to see. Compare that to what you itinerary includes to avoid duplicates.

- Parliament interior tour. A bit pricey (about $20) and you need to book an english language guide ahead of time. There is an official website but viator also offers one.

Read through all the old threads for all the Danube cruises and you'll find more suggestions and lots of helpful info.

I'll be interested in your review of the synagogue. We see so many christian churches on these tours, I think it will be interesting to see something a little different.

• Options
    Sorry Nana, we are not on this cruise but leaving late in May on the Budapest to Amsterdam one. Also with a couple of days early.

I'll be interested in your review of the synagogue. We see so many christian churches on these tours, I think it will be interesting to see something a little different.

We did a Danube cruise about 5 years ago. The synagogue is about 10 minute walk from the market. It’s laid out more like a catholic church. Great stained glass windows and a glass dome. Great story during WWII which I won’ ruin for you. Well worth the visit.

Enjoy your trip.

Bryan
  • Options
    Hi Nana,
    We went on this trip a two years ago and loved it. Arrived just one day early. We had booked a tour of Parliament around 10 in the morning...crowded but worth it... pre reservations necessary. After that we walked around the downtown and along the Danube. Do not miss the touching shoes memorial along the river. After lunch we went in the Doheny synagogue, no tour, just a walk about. It was lovely, but we found the outside grounds more interesting. The memorial garden and the gorgeous tree of life sculpture are very touching...and not to be missed. It is so hard for baby boomers like me to comprehend what went on in WWII Europe and in the Communist occupied countires later on. We learned so much on this trip.
    You will see both sides of the river on the Tauck tours, covering most or all of the highlights of Budapest, plus having free time on your own. We saw the big market on one of these tours...a great place for souvenirs, but it is huge with lots of repetition of the souvenir offerings. Not necessarily bargains, but who cares? Buy something with the beautiful flower embroidery that seems to be the national craft of Hungary. Even the altar cloths are embroidered in this floral style, and you can find examples for sale everywhere.
    Happy sailing and enjoy your trip.
  • Options
    Hi Nana,
    Do not miss the touching shoes memorial along the river. After lunch we went in the Doheny synagogue, no tour, just a walk about. It was lovely, but we found the outside grounds more interesting. The memorial garden and the gorgeous tree of life sculpture are very touching...and not to be missed.

Interesting. The photos of the tree looked cool online. Not sure I can do the shoes. Will be bawling my eyes out.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    My wife and I are from Florida and we are on the same cruise. We are flying into Budapest on Sunday, other than doing a nighttime photo tour we haven’t made any other plans yet. We did this trip in reverse back in 2016 and had a fantastic time, you can checkout my photos at: https://jprimages.com/travel/tauck/danube/2016

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file