Cabin to book on the Inspire Rhine river cruise

Is there a preferred deck on the Inspire?
And is mid ship best?

Comments

• Picking river cruise staterooms is very different from ocean going vessels. They don't have the motion concerns that make a mid-ship cabin more popular. Here are some things to take into consideration.

Light/windows - All the Diamond and Ruby deck cabins have large floor to ceiling windows that bring in light and view. On the Inspire, the Category 3 loft cabins also have great light. Keep in mind that at times the ports where you are docked are very busy with other river cruise ships and you may be tied up next to or even in between other ships which pretty well cuts off your view for awhile. Hint, in the morning check outside before whipping open the curtains and giving someone on a next door ship a free show.

Amenities - obviously the pricier the cabin the more amenities you tend to get like more space, chairs to sit in, larger bathroom, storage, coffee makers, etc. The Suites have the best (obviously) including breakfast room service, walk in closets and their own iron/ironing board.

Noise - generally not a big problem and not something that can be totally avoided. If the ship is underway overnight you'll get some noise no matter where the cabin is. Going thru locks can be especially noisy. We tend to avoid the very front cabins (Cat 4 and Diamond deck Cat 5) as you're next to the lobby which has hard surfaces and some noise. We also avoid the very rear as you are closer to the main engines. We had cabin 201 on the Inspire and it was a great layout, plenty of space but I'm easily bugged by noise so we go for cabins a little further back. If you're someone who can sleep thru pretty much anything, go for it.

Distance from the front of the ship - except for Arthur's bistro - everything else is forward. The main lounge, lobby and restaurant. Daily you make alot of treks back and forth to your cabin from the front as you go to meals, leave/return from excursions, go to activities in the lounge, etc. Anyone with mobility issues might prefer to be closer to the front.

The rest is just a matter of what you want to spend. The loft cabins are a great value and everyone I know who has had one loved them.

Let me know if I can answer anything else. I love river cruising. Booked on our 4 this summer.
  • edited February 2019
    nola wrote:
    Is there a preferred deck on the Inspire?
    And is mid ship best?

We've only been on one river cruise on the Ms Joy. How many people are going, are you taking your family? Frankly the best bang for the buck, square footage, etc. is the Cat 3 loft cabins. We don't need all the space of a Cat 6 or 7. These are riverboats so, other than engine vibrations you won't even know when you are underway- absolutely no boat movement. Unlike ocean-going vessels that have various motion about the center of bouyancy, etc. it doesn't matter what cabin you are in. The only advantage I see with a cabin closer to the bow is a shorter walk to the restaurant, lounge, and lobby.

I especially liked the built-in TV credenza at the foot of the bed- great place to throw stuff and large deep drawers to stow stuff : )
  • Agreed. Unless you have issues with stairs, I think there were four, the Cat 3 loft staterooms are the best deal on the ship. Lots of windows, and the drapes and windows can be controlled from bedside, or from the loft. The loft actually could be called the men’s dressing room. But keep it a secret. I don’t want the word to get out. (;-)
  • Sealord wrote:
    Agreed. Unless you have issues with stairs, I think there were four, the Cat 3 loft staterooms are the best deal on the ship. Lots of windows, and the drapes and windows can be controlled from bedside, or from the loft. The loft actually could be called the men’s dressing room. But keep it a secret. I don’t want the word to get out. (;-)

Then my advise about not opening the curtains before checking outside definitely applies......
  • It’s actually kind of handy to have the people on the boat next door help you with your ensemble.
  • Another factor to consider is how long the cruise is. For a 2-3 week cruise, your cabin size can make a bigger difference.

Our first cruise was a 1 week and we had the smallest cabin available then - Ruby deck but 150 sqft. Those are mostly all gone now with the redesign of the older Tauck ships. It was fine for that length of cruise which had very little daytime cruising or other down time. The cabin was just a place to sleep or dress. We've only taken 14 day trips since then which have more down time, daylight cruising. It's been nice to have a lightly larger cabin with chairs to sit in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file