Day trips from Basel ?

Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a day trip from Basel. I am taking the Amsterdam to Moselle River Cruise in July 2019 and will be staying an extra day in Basel. Also any suggestions of where to eat ?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• Much of Switzerland is doable as a day trip by train from Basel (it's a small country, after all). Bern and Zurich are easy day trips. You could also go to Interlaken and either go to the top of the Jungfrau (weather and budget permitting) or take the ferry across Lake Thun. Lucerne is also a choice, but you're probably doing this on your cruise.

Get a good Switzerland guide book, like Rick Steves or Eyewitness, to help you decide.
  • Bern is an easy day trip from Basel. We actually stayed in Bern for 3 nights at the end of our Rhine & Moselle cruise last May. Lots to do in Bern; you can look it up on TripAdvisor. Lucerne is another great option. They are both about an hour train ride away.
  • Hi! I was just there in December. I didn't do a day trip (which you could to Lucerne) but I did do a 3 hour tour in Basel. It was a Chocolate Tour and it was wonderful. I went on to AirBnB and wrote in Basel and then in the drop down menu I clicked on Experiences/ My tour was conducted by Stephanie and she was great adn very knowledgeable. Went to several chocolatiers, a bakery - 5 stops all together including a ride across the Rhine on a little ferry boat.

If you don't have a place to stay I would recommend Hotel Spalentor. Doesn't look like much outside but it is very nice inside and it is in a great location. It was three stops on the tram from the train station, great breakfast buffet, workout and game room and for European standards the the room was large, light and cheery. The staff was so very helpful. It is about a 15 minute walk to the downtown area.

Good luck
    Jane
  • Where ever you stay, ask at reception or the concierge for a free pass to ride the local trams/buses - it's called the BaselCard. It lets you use public transport free and provides reduced fare to museums. Google "Baselcard" and you'll get more info on it.

We found the trams and buses very easy to navigate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file