Options

Mountain walk in the Dolomites

I will be taking the September 28, 2017 departure of The Ultimate Alps & Dolomites. I am wondering how strenuous the mountain "hike" is. I am fine on flat surfaces but not steep uphill walking.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    DonL wrote:
    I will be taking the September 28, 2017 departure of The Ultimate Alps & Dolomites. I am wondering how strenuous the mountain "hike" is. I am fine on flat surfaces but not steep uphill walking.

I'm sure others will weigh in. We took UA&D a few years ago before they added the extra day in Cortina d'Ampezzo, so didn't have any mountain hikes in the Dolomites- like most Tauck tours, there was walking for sure, mainly in towns like Salzburg, and even some inclines but nothing I would classify as anything approaching "strenuous." It is classified as Activity Level 3 tour, but based on the average age and physical condition of the typical Tauck travelers we have toured with and the physical demands of our past Tauck tours, I doubt you will encounter any difficult "steep" uphill walking. Buses and trams (and even a carriage) took us to high places like, Schloss Tratzberg, Monstein, the Eagle’s Nest, Zugspitze, etc.

The steepest inclines of any our previous Tauck tours were (1) the last 50 yards of asphalt from the carriage stop to the entrance at Neuschwanstein Castle (UA&D doesn't go there any more) and (2) the incline+stairs from the bus drop to the Tatoo grounds at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland on E,S&W. Also, Tauck will often provide alternatives to such activities- either alternative transportation or places to see/things to do, if you have difficulty.
  • Options
    DonL wrote:

Would you mind posting after your return, we are also thinking of going on this trip in September. There is not much forum traffic with this particular trip and would be grateful to hear about your journey, weather, and any hints or tips. Thanks.
  • Options

We just got back. It was a great trip. But we had rain/snow/fog in the Dolomites, so they cancelled the hike and went to Plan B - and a WWI museum tour at an old fort in the Dolomites. It was very interesting. The mountaineer talk at lunch was great. Be prepared and take it as it comes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file